www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Mobile compliance - where to start?

Hybrid View

Mobile compliance - where to start?

So far I have pretty much ignored mobile website users. Clearly the time when one could afford to do so is past, as the number of mobile users skyrocket.

There's a lot of info on the web on mobile compliance - but it all seems very fragmented and from what I can see each mobile device basically requires a website specially designed for it, which is of course unrealistic. Also, when I look for mobile compliance guidelines I often get bogged down in lengthy articles on how to develop the ultimate killer app for the iPhone and stuff like that.

Could anyone provide me with a few pointers to the basics on mobile compliance? Surely there must be some simple best practices somewhere, or mobile compliance would be a nightmare. (Or is it and have I just not paid attention to it?)

All suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

// Frank

Quote Originally Posted by frankvw View Post
    There's a lot of info on the web on mobile compliance - but it all seems very fragmented and from what I can see each mobile device basically requires a website specially designed for it, which is of course unrealistic. Also, when I look for mobile compliance guidelines I often get bogged down in lengthy articles on how to develop the ultimate killer app for the iPhone and stuff like that.
    I agree. Mobile platform and compliance are very fragmented at the moment. This is always the case for any new/emerging technologies where not much standardization is in place. Think of the analogy of a newborn baby. Brain is not 'corrupted' yet but once the baby grow up hehehe...

Think also like the browser wars in the early era and the subsequent consolidation and standardization years later. Mobile is following the same trend and we are now at the stage as those browser wars in the early era.

What you can do now is to focus on current major mobile platforms. In my country, iPhone, Android and Blackberries. In your country, you may have others and then focus your development for those selected platforms.

Quote Originally Posted by sohguanh View Post
    I agree. Mobile platform and compliance are very fragmented at the moment.
    Worse - it's a complete and utter mess, IMO. Every manufacturer has a different way of stuffing things up. Device A ignores styles, device B applies styles it should not, device C does a fandango on tables, and to make it worse some mobile providers run content through proxies that strip out styles on an arbitrary basis which makes everything a crapshoot. It's worse than the Browser Wars of the 1990's! I mean, the web was never going to be a platform where absolute positioning was possible or where any assumption about client properties could be trusted, but the mobile arena is really a pig's breakfast right now.

This is always the case for any new/emerging technologies where not much standardization is in place. Think of the analogy of a newborn baby.
    Exactly - nothing but an alimentary canal with a loud voice at one end and no responsibility at the other. the best you can do is live with it and endure the loss of sleep and cleaning up its mess until it develops enough to be disciplined.

What you can do now is to focus on current major mobile platforms. In my country, iPhone, Android and Blackberries. In your country, you may have others and then focus your development for those selected platforms.
    When I wrote my initial post, I had the sinking feeling that I will have to design separately for every device, and I was hoping that I was wrong. You now have confirmed my worst fears. Does it help to know you've ruined my day? :-)

// Frank

W3C just brought out a mobile checker; I 've not tried it, yet:

http://validator.w3.org/unicorn/

What a load of nonsense... I'm posting this from my mobile... my HTC Desire.. guess what internet it views? The exact same one you see on a desktop..which is the case for most mobiles these days..

You do not need a mobile version of your site.... maybe 5 years ago it would have been a good idea but not anymore.

I posted an earlier comment which is awaiting moderation.. but I don't think I provided evidence of what I ment so here's a followup.

I said that there is no need to create mobile versions of your sites.. The reason for this is simple.. If you look at any of the mobile browsers available.. Their number 1 goal is to provide the FULL internet on your mobile.. Take a look here as they have a video of what browsing is like.. www.skyfire.com

Most of these use the Webkit engine exactly like desktop browsers like firefox and opera do.

Skyfire - Provides a web experience exactly like a desktop with flash, tabs etc..

Opera Mini - Again, Exactly like a desktop but minus the flash, fast loading..

HTC's own browser - The best one i've seen yet, it provides identical browsing to a desktop.. full flash and all, tabs etc..

Dophin Browser - Nice browser with tabs and gestures.

60% mobile market share is owned between HTC and Apple and all their handsets display the full internet, they ignore mobile versions of sites and instead break full versions of sites into 3 or so colums the width of the screen to make it easier to scroll though if the user chooses that setting otherwise you see what you see on a desktop by default and you can tap to zoom in on an area or pinch to zoom on the higher end devices.

When I wrote my initial post, I had the sinking feeling that I will have to design separately for every device, and I was hoping that I was wrong. You now have confirmed my worst fears. Does it help to know you've ruined my day? :-)
    Ehh??? you should be over the moon that you only need to have 1 version of your site!!

For a person who claims to be a web designer you don't seem to know a great deal about the design market.. I've been a designer/programmer going on 12 years now and I know that due to advances in the past couple of years mobile versions of sites are something of the past. Check my post above this one to see for yourself.. Look up each on of those mobile browsers homepages and you will see demos of webpages appearing exactly as they do on a desktop on nearly all current mobile phone available today.

Thread Information