www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: SubDomains???

Question SubDomains???

I am about to register a new domain name. The non-profit organization that will own this wants me to host it on someone else's server.

I am concerned that the URL will become hard to remember.

Am I looking to do something called a subdomain? It's all a bit confusing to me!

Let's say the domain name I want to register is www.Where-To-Ride.org.

If I host it on someone else's server, can I set it up so when someone types in the URL of www.Where-To-Ride.org it will immediately go to that person's server?

It has always been my understanding (and maybe I'm wrong!). that to set up a subdomain on someone else's server, the URL had to be something like www.Where-To-Ride.hostname.org or http://Where-To-Ride.hostname.org.

What do I tell that host how to set it up?

I hope I explained this correctly as I know how to set up my own domain on a web server, but no on another host's server.

Thanks,

Paul

The internet does not know who owns the servers. So your distinction between "a web server" and "someone else's server" isn't relevant. You point the domain name (from the control panel at the registrar where you registered the name) to the name servers at whatever server the web site is stored at, and that's that. So www.where-to-ride.org will be the url your customers will use to get to the site, regardless of who owns the server.

Dave

SubDomains???

Quote Originally Posted by tracknut View Post
    The internet does not know who owns the servers. So your distinction between "a web server" and "someone else's server" isn't relevant. You point the domain name (from the control panel at the registrar where you registered the name) to the name servers at whatever server the web site is stored at, and that's that. So www.where-to-ride.org will be the url your customers will use to get to the site, regardless of who owns the server.

Dave
    Thanks for the explanation.

Unfortunately I already knew that.

I guess what I was asking was how can I set up this hosting so when someone types in the URL (www.Where-To-Ride.org) they will be taken to the specific web page rather than the default index.html.

The organization that wants to host it on has nothing to do with the web pages that will be involved; they are only offering to provide free space and unlimited bandwidth.

You have to have access to index.html, or at least the directory that it is in, in order to do this.

Then use .htaccess (requires access to the directory that index.html is in) or php (requires access to index.html) redirect to accomplish whatever it is you are trying to do.

For .htaccess you'd create a file called .htaccess in this directory and put this inside it:
    Code:
    Redirect 301 / http://www.new-site.com/
    This would redirect anything that comes to the Where-To-Ride.org to
    http://www.new-site.com

Or use a php redirect by putting this at the top of index.php
    PHP Code:
    <?php
    header
    ("Location: http://www.example.com/"); /* Redirect browser */
    ?>

But you're query is still quite confusing and I'm not convinced you are actually asking the right questions to get the answer that you are looking for.

If this post didn't help, don't try and minimize words, or give examples, tell us exactly what the situation is and what end-result you are trying to achieve. This forum is full of people who don't need things 'dumbed' down or paraphrased.

SubDomains???

Quote Originally Posted by aj_nsc View Post
    You have to have access to index.html, or at least the directory that it is in, in order to do this.

Then use .htaccess (requires access to the directory that index.html is in) or php (requires access to index.html) redirect to accomplish whatever it is you are trying to do.

For .htaccess you'd create a file called .htaccess in this directory and put this inside it:
    Code:
    Redirect 301 / http://www.new-site.com/
    This would redirect anything that comes to the Where-To-Ride.org to
    http://www.new-site.com

Or use a php redirect by putting this at the top of index.php
    PHP Code:
    <?php
    header
    ("Location: http://www.example.com/"); /* Redirect browser */
    ?>

But you're query is still quite confusing and I'm not convinced you are actually asking the right questions to get the answer that you are looking for.

If this post didn't help, don't try and minimize words, or give examples, tell us exactly what the situation is and what end-result you are trying to achieve. This forum is full of people who don't need things 'dumbed' down or paraphrased.
    Sorry, I'll give you the whole story and let you decide what I should do!

I belong to the Washington Off-Highway Vehicle Alliance (www.WOHVA.org). It is a non-profit organization so they are trying to keep costs to a minimum.

I volunteered to create a "one stop" website wherein anyone wanting to ride their OHV (4x4, ATV, or dirt bike) could come to this web site and find locations anywhere in the state of WA.

The project is far enough along that it is ready to be made available to the public.

I have proposed to the WOHVA Board of Directors to purchase a domain name (WOHVA-Catalog.org) and pay someone to host the web pages.

I think it should be set up so when someone types in the URL www.WOHVA-Catalog.org they would be taken directly to the main page, which is a Google Maps-based web page with all the sites displayed on the map. There would be some additional pages associated with this project, but it mainly would be links to already existing web sites for more information about the OHV areas/roads/trails.

You can see the project here (if this will help): http://www.dog-walker.us/WOHVA/Catal...atalog-map.htm

One of the WOHVA member clubs has offered to host this project on their server because they have unlimited disk space and unlimited bandwidth. The WOHVA President wants me to explore their offer to see if it will save us money.

While I'm sure it will save us money, I'm not sure the resultant URL will be easy to remember. Seems like I read somewhere that if you do this, the URL could end up being something like http://WOHVA-Catalog.ewatv.org or possibly http://www.WOHVA-Catalog/ewatv.org/ - not very easy to remember.

I understand the basics of the .htaccess file (I have one on my personal web site), but not sure how to use it in this situation.

I firmly believe the URL for this project should be simple and easy to remember; that's why I picked WOHVA-Catalog.org; easy to remember; you don't have to go to a search engine to find it!

I personally own a domain and have it hosted on a web server so I understand the basics, but this is above my expertise level!

I hope this is a better explanation of what I'm trying to accomplish. Problem is, as you mentioned, I'm not sure I'm even asking the correct questions!

Thanks,

Paul

Ask the person who's offered to host it whether he can host an actual domain (with your URL) or whether he was only offering to make you a subdomain under some domain of his own. Both options are possible, depending on what he's really got access to, and I agree, the subdomain is kind of bogus.

Dave

This can be done through pretty much any registrar. You can buy a domain name - whatever domain name you want, and there's a feature that will allow you to perform cloaking or simple forwarding.

For example, if you buy wohva-catalog.org, you can set it up at the registrar (where you buy the domain name) to automatically send the user to wohva-catalog.ewatv.org. You can also set it up so that the domain can be cloaked (the user will never know the actual url is wohva-catalog.ewatv.org, but the URL in the address bar will also never change, even when the user changes pages, making it look a bit fishy).

This is what you're looking to do.

Also, remind the people in charge of this organization what the actual costs can be for this project. Hosting can be quite cheap - my host provides very good quality hosting to me for under $4USD a month.

There's also no such thing as "unlimited bandwidth" and "unlimited server space". If you read the fine print of the host's TOS, you'll see that there's always a limit, even if it doesn't explicitly state a number.

Good luck.

It is better to have a own domain.. just have a try whether you can have it or not.

Managed Service provider

SubDomains???

For example, if you buy wohva-catalog.org, you can set it up at the registrar (where you buy the domain name) to automatically send the user to wohva-catalog.ewatv.org. You can also set it up so that the domain can be cloaked (the user will never know the actual url is wohva-catalog.ewatv.org, but the URL in the address bar will also never change, even when the user changes pages, making it look a bit fishy).

This is what you're looking to do.
    Thanks for your reply. I think I understand it now.
    But let me do a check to ensure that when I tell whomever is going to do the actual registering, etc. that I tell them the correct words.

When we buy the domain name wohva-catalog.org we can have it point to the specific page on the server hosting ewatv.org - is this correct? If so, that's exactly what I'd like it to do!

Also, remind the people in charge of this organization what the actual costs can be for this project. Hosting can be quite cheap - my host provides very good quality hosting to me for under $4USD a month.
    You and I know that, but apparently the folks at WOHVA don't understand how inexpensive it is! I mean, I was only asking for a 3-year commitment for only $ 6.95 a month. Maybe they did not want to go for the entire 3-year upfront payment of $250.20. So I offered them the 12-month plan for only $ 8.95 a month (upfront payment of $ 107.40).

There's also no such thing as "unlimited bandwidth" and "unlimited server space". If you read the fine print of the host's TOS, you'll see that there's always a limit, even if it doesn't explicitly state a number.
    Again you and I know that, but in the case of this project, I don't think there is ever going to be an issue with disc space and monthly bandwidth. Obviously it will get more hits as the word gets out, but doubtful ever to the extent where bandwidth would have to be throttled down or cut.

Thanks again for your explanation.
    I'm hoping your comments will help me get the approval I'm looking for!

Quote Originally Posted by paulp575 View Post
    Thanks for your reply. I think I understand it now.
    But let me do a check to ensure that when I tell whomever is going to do the actual registering, etc. that I tell them the correct words.

When we buy the domain name wohva-catalog.org we can have it point to the specific page on the server hosting ewatv.org - is this correct? If so, that's exactly what I'd like it to do!
    Exactly.

Thread Information