dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: IE 6 needs fresh html

Bundanoon: first village to ban bottled water

IE 6 needs fresh html

I've started to get a page working more-or-less ok in IE6 ( the main problem being position:fixed) but it actually needs different html, not just different css: I'm using a semi-transparent png with fully-transparent sections as a major background, and for IE6 I think this needs to be replaced with a straight gif with transparent sections. Never mind the transparency.

So, within conditional comments, how do you redirect to an IE6-only page? or is there another way? Maybe with IE's filter thing?

Off the top of my head, I'd bring the image up as a background image of a div - specifying div height and width - and then use a conditional statement to bring in a version of the CSS class that calls up the gif rather than the png. Personally, I avoid the problem by not using png image files - and shall do that until I stop writing code that allows for IE 6.

You can alternatively use Javascript to overcome this IIRC - but I prefer not to do that
    Last edited by kiwibrit; 07-31-2010 at 05:30 AM.

Sorry, I shouldn't have said "background", it's actually a <div> layer with a png set to 'width:100&#37;': it functions as a background for one large part of the window.

Can you do <meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0; url=ie6.htm">, or do you need the full url?

//
    maybe just adding 'filter:Alpha(Opacity=30)' to the png will do it.
    Last edited by ctoz; 07-31-2010 at 07:55 AM.

Looks like the answer is a combination of IE6-directed css, and AJAX to replace to the png with a gif, and applying MSIE's alpha/opacity filter to the gif for the partial transparency.

I don't recall the need for AJAX last time I looked at it - I think Javascript was adequate.

Thread Information