dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Flash shopping cart?

Flash shopping cart?

Most shopping cart are PHP based, powerful but hard to install, also require MYSQL settings on server with admin access, etc.

I am considering this flash shopping cart software, which can build a full feature flash shopping cart, accept Paypal payment and supports multiple categories. The best part is that it requires no PHP/MYSQL, basically can be embed into any web page.

If I only have few items to sell, I guess a flash shopping cart is sufficient? Will you prefer a flash shopping cart over PHP?

Quote Originally Posted by tedscoffee View Post
    If I only have few items to sell, I guess a flash shopping cart is sufficient? Will you prefer a flash shopping cart over PHP?
    I don't believe there is a definitive right or wrong answer. It depends on your skills, interest and available time to build your own cart.

For me personally, I built my own customised shopping cart. It is a php class that I have set up to function as I want rather than have to rely on a 3rd party cart.

So for people with limited development skills who wish to set up an online store then a 3rd party cart is most probably their best option.

A huge potential problem with a Flash-only shopping cart is that what happens to the those who do not have Flash or have the add-on disabled? Best practice (especially for e-commerce) is to have a server-side only solution and then adjust the GUI however you would like provided the browser/client supports it. This way you still provide functionality for those situations where the user wouldn't be able to use the site otherwise.

Thanks for the advice. According to Adobe's website, it says 98-99% of browsers now supports flash plug-in. And I am mainly going to sell music / video album online, for people who open music / video viewers online, I would say they would most likely have flash plug-in enabled already. I will also add some text under the shopping cart, for people who can't see the cart to contact me directly.

in addition, maybe add a link on your web page to the download page on the Adobe website for the plug-in so users can install it quickly if they wish.....just some food for thought

Keep in mind that just because 98-99% of browsers support the plug-in does not mean 98-9% havethe plug-in.

As a shopper, if a store requires me to download something before I can purchase their goods, I will leave. Unless it's something I really really want and can't get anywhere else.. even then I would hesitate.

if the download was from a reputable company then I would have no problem downloading a plug-in or whatever was needed.

If I never heard of the company before or if it sounded dodgy then I wouldn't download from it either.

I deal with eCommerce development and marketing and do a lot of research on who buys, why they buy, why they don't buy.. Trust me, if you make it difficult for someone to buy from your site, they will leave. Having to download and install something is placing a burden on your customers.

But then again, if you are the only website on the entire internet that sells a purple dynamo widget and people want to buy it, then you'll be OK. If you sell the same thing that hundreds of other sites do.. then I can guarantee, those other sites are easier to shop.
    Last edited by yamaharuss; 08-09-2010 at 12:51 PM.

Thread Information