www.webdeveloper.com
Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: [RESOLVED] Site running slow as soon as we go live (no traffic yet either). Details inside..

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    75

    resolved [RESOLVED] Site running slow as soon as we go live (no traffic yet either). Details inside..

    Hello,

    Well - we are pretty stumped on this and have been working on it since 11AM this morning. Unfortunately - as great as my windows hosting company is - they haven't been much help on this.

    Here's the deal: I have been building an online store for the past several months on this Windows Hosting Server. The development store was located at a temporary URL in my browser, and I would always view this URL to examine updates, etc. Everything has always worked fast and smooth.

    Well today was launch day. The owner of the store specifically requested that when we point the 'A' records from the old hosting server to the new one, that we need to leave the mail stuff alone, which we did. So, I changed the "*", "www", "ftp" to point to the new IP, which is 216.167.195.36 (see screenshot attachment 'IP.png' for reference to make sure everything looks OK).

    So anyways, the site started to propogate, and I updated the URLs in the store from the temp. location to the new one - but I left the temporary URL active.

    Here is where it gets strange. At the new URL, the site loads extremely slow and most pictures won't load. A few times the site kept going back to the old site when I click refresh (a result of propogating, Im sure) but the slow load times was really strange.

    However - back at the temporary URL location, everything is still very fast and smooth. Whats strange is both URL's are pointed to the same Hosting Server/Folder, so there shouldn't be any difference.

    So I'm thinking that maybe there was something not done correctly when repointing the domain name? I thought it either works or it doesn't, no in between, so I'm not quite sure what is going on.

    You can view the two URL's here:

    Temporary URL (Fast): http://gem-tech.com.mytempweb.com/st...ressors-c5.htm

    New URL (Slow): http://www.gem-tech.com/store/pc/Rif...ressors-c5.htm

    So, my instinct is telling me there could be an issue with:

    - The way the domain names were pointed/edit in the 'A' record (this was the only record that was changed)

    - I'm also thinking that there might be a conflict have both the temp. URL active and the real URL active at the same time, but I have no experience in this to know better.

    - Or maybe the site isn't fully propogated where I'm at and it is causing these issues

    Any help would be greatly appreciated,
    Thank You
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BlackReefDesign; 08-11-2010 at 10:15 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Dubai UAE
    Posts
    54

    Smile

    I think your new server doesnt suppot file compression, or maybe it has a different approach in compressing data.

    And check your scripts, the old one have a smaller script size than the new one. Check how server cache them.

    Its just a hunch, but it could help. God Speed
    While ( $post !== '[RESOLVE]' ) {
    ToAnswer();
    }

    Web Developer Dubai extensive php and mysql coder even designs can be
    php developer dubai

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by arrielmabale View Post
    I think your new server doesnt suppot file compression, or maybe it has a different approach in compressing data.

    And check your scripts, the old one have a smaller script size than the new one. Check how server cache them.

    Its just a hunch, but it could help. God Speed
    Well it's not a new server, just the new domain was finally pointed to the new server.

    But - you were very close. Here is the reponse I got from my hosting account this morning:

    "Joe,

    I finally figured out what the issue was.
    The issue is on the image encoding.

    Reference Page:
    http://www.gem-tech.com/store/pc/vie...h&idCategory=5

    All I had to do was to open the image and re-save it (and therefore re-encode the GIF).
    From what I could see it was a JPG encoded image being saved as GIF (this is why the quality also drops when you save it again).

    I am not sure if this was a problem during the upload or if it is a problem on the images themselves but I would point to the second option.
    Hans found another URL with the same issue which is:
    http://www.gem-tech.com/store/pc/Pis...ressors-c2.htm

    If you try to view that page, you will notice that the first image won't load neither.
    In order to fix this, please try to open the image on an image-editor and save it again as a GIF file (do not overwrite; instead try to force it to re-encode the file by choosing another location).

    Once you have the image re-encoded, try to upload it to the site and refresh the page.
    The page should now open without any errors.
    "

    So, for whatever reason - all of the sudden a large portion of the images on our site are NOT 'valid'. In fact, if I manually download the images off the server and try to open them in my computer locally, I get a "this is not a valid .GIF file".

    Sooo strange, as the images were working fine up until the point we repoint the domain to the new server.

    So Im in a bit of a panic right now trying to figure out a way to save all these images

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
HTML5 Development Center



Recent Articles