www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: background help.

background help.

Hello:

I'm trying to learn CSS and I would like to know what I'm doing wrong on the following, I can't see the the gradient background at all. I'm including the file on the index.html. I can see the logo but, nothing after that. What's wrong?

Code:
    #header{
      display: inline;
      background-color: #016ba5 ;
      width: 100%;
      margin: 0px;
      padding: 0px;

}

#logo {
        background: #fff url( '../images/owsfacturas.png' ) 0px no-repeat;
        width: 363px;
        height: 91px;
        float:  left;
        display: block;
    }
    #headgradient{
        background: #016ba5 url( '../images/headgradient.jpg' ) 0px no-repeat;
        width: 100px;
        height: 91px;

}
    On index.html:

HTML Code:
    <div id="container">

<div id="header">
          <div id="logo"></div>
          <div id="headgradient"></div>
        </div>

</div>

Unless you specified a width on #container, width: 100&#37; on #header means nothing. You do not need to declare display: block on natively block level elements (e.g. div, h#, p, etc). Why would you have a header that is display: inline containing block level elements? This makes no sense.

Now, on to your question - the path to the background file needs to be relative to your css file directory, not to your HTML file. That's a common mistake that people make, could that be your problem? I think you might need to put something in your div's, like &nbsp; rather than leave them empty.
    Last edited by aj_nsc; 08-19-2010 at 12:36 PM.

Thanks for your quick reply.

HTML Code:
    #container{
      width: 100&#37;;

}
    removed the display: block and inline and still can't solve it. the files are relative to the css file. I can see the logo ok but, nothing else.

Can you see any styling of your #headgradient div? If you put a border on it, can you see the border? What about the default background color?

EDIT: Wait wait....if this is most like CSS background gradients, you probably made a 1px wide image and plan on tiling it horizontally......is that the case? If it is, the no-repeat rule might be tripping you up.

The image is actually 100x100. After putting a border I noticed the image is actually under the logo when viewed using Chrome. Now, when using IE is right next to the logo. What's wrong in Chrome??

Also, If I put this: background-position: 363px 0; in the #headgradient I get exactly what I want but, only in Chrome, on IE it gets messed up.

Do you perhaps not have an appropriate DTD at the top of your file?

add clear: left; to #headgradient to get it to drop in IE - stupid IE.

If you're image is 100px x 100px then adding background-position: 363px 0; makes no sense. That would offset the background image in the div 363px to the right, at which point, with a no-repeat rule, there would be no image.

If you're fairly new to CSS, you might want to take a look at some of the w3cschools css tutorials -> http://www.w3schools.com/css/default.asp

I've read that. That's where I'm getting help from.

the clear: left; just didn't work and added a the #headgradient on the next line. What would be the appropriate DTD for a simple html, css, js, php file?

<!doctype html>

I added margin-left: 360px; to #headgradient and that helped...
    Thanks.

This is what's on my file:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

I use pspad.

Thats doctype is fine enough to use. <!doctype html> is the doctype for HTML5 and is backwards compatible, which is why I am starting to use it - just to get into the habit of it although you really won't be able to use HTML5 features across all browsers in production sites for quite some time.

Thread Information