www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Foreign Language Support

Foreign Language Support

I'm sure this is something very simple, but for the life of me I can't remember how to do this. So forgive me if this is a total noob question.

I'm creating a website for a friend's company but it needs to support Norwegian characters, like ,, and . Unfortunately, in what I currently have, it's changing to Ř. It does it in each occurrence. I didn't notice it until I started fine tuning the layout. I know there is something I'm meant to put for it to support other languages besides English, but I haven't had to create many sites to support other characters besides normal Romanized letters.

Is this something that needs to be changed in the DocType or is there something in the CSS import I should put? My first guess is the HTML DocType.

Thanks in advance. This is one of those things I feel I should know, but just haven't done enough to really consider.

Neither actually. It's your character encoding, presumably the one on the server by the sounds of it. As far as I recall, either ISO 8859-1 or utf-8 will do for Norwegian.
    Great wit and madness are near allied, and fine a line their bounds divide.

I see. I'm currently testing it on Webs.com, so maybe that's the issue. I know that the server it will be on would be fine.

So is there no way I can do it through the scripts I am using? I know that when I view their current site, I can see Norsk characters fine. I really am thinking it is just Webs.com. Some online acquaintances I have in England can't even view anything from Webs.

Do they support PHP or any server-side language? If so, you can sent a header specifying the char encoding. This seems accurate.
    Great wit and madness are near allied, and fine a line their bounds divide.

Actually what they currently have is php. So I will test this out. I'll edit this post if something goes wrong.

Try this:
    PHP Code:
    <html lang="no">
    <
    head>
    <
    meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;charset=utf-8">
    </
    head>
    <
    body>
    <
    p>&#248; Ø - &amp;#248; &amp;#216;</p>
    <p>&#230; Æ - &amp;#230; &amp;#198;</p>
    <p>&#240; Ð - &amp;#240; &amp;#208;</p>
    <p>&#254; Þ - &amp;#254; &amp;#222;</p>
    <p>Normal paragraph: &#248; Ø æ Æ ð Ð þ Þ </p>
    </body>
    </
    html
    Last edited by savvykms; 08-22-2010 at 08:09 PM.
    Computer programmer / web developer.

Okay, that half worked for me. That's a good thing... it means the code does help. However, when I pasted the rest of that, along with the paragraph tags, I most mostly those diamonds with the ? in it. So that means it does recognize it, but it isn't subbing the actual letter for what it should be.

I pay very close attention to detail, so I know everything is correct so far. I'm also looking at W3 to help me out.

If you can shed any further light, I'll be grateful. Thanks so much for the help so far.

Thread Information