www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Zip Code/Category based search?

Zip Code/Category based search?

I'm looking for a script or applet that will allow users to search by zipcode or selected category for results. I would like something already built so I can just customize it to our needs.

Any ideas? I'm sure it will need to have a database setup for it to work which I am fine with doing. I can modify scripts and files but I have no idea where to start with this from scratch because I'm no script/software guru...

We also use the same data for our "Layar" app for the iphone and driod phones. Has anyone messed with layar scripting and databases? We are using hoopala now which makes data entry simple but we cannot modify their database to add category options. It would be nice to find an alternative to hoopala so we could use one database for both the layar app and the zipcode/category search on our site.

Thanks,

Adam

Question

Question ...

Do you have a small sample of the database structure that you intend to use?
    Basically, what is the format of the information you wish to search via 'zipcode'?

JMRKER,

I dont have a sample because the database hasnt been created yet on our website.

There is two parts: People visit our site (an online mall) and will be able to search for local discounts by zipcode and category. The second part which is already working (Still some testing) is on an app called layar for the iphone and Droid. I noticed your in Florida so if you have one of those phones you should be able to find us on it and try it out (search for giveback). layar uses the gps on the phone along with a layer your create to show points of interest in real time through the camera lens on the phone within their search radius. I tend to stay away from coding and any scripting I have to write from scratch because I am self taught and have little experience with it and because of that we are using a service called Hoppala which provides a database, scripting and poi entry in one simple package. Because that database is controlled by them I am limited to what we can enter and what is sent to layar.

It would be nice if there is a way I could use the same database for layar and for our website zip/category search so I dont have to enter all the information twice. At this point I have two problems.. finding an alternative to hoppala that we can use on our server so we have control and also finding a simple searchbox to be used on our site to lookup by zip or category from the same database.

I apologize if this isnt making much sense.. I have looked everywhere for a package or script for this and find nothing..

Thread Information