dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: tracking pixel help

tracking pixel help

Hey I've been reading about tracking pixels and I am a little confused about how a counter could be used in conjunction with tracking pixels. If you guys could link me to some tutorials that would be great.

If I understand the question, you would simply do the following:

1. Create a transparent GIF, 1px by 1px in size. Upload it to a server that you have statistics monitoring on. Awstats is common for cPanel based servers, for example.

2. Use an HTML image tag to place the image on the page(s) you wish to track. If the site you are trying to track allows externally hosted images to be used, this method will work as well.

3. Monitor the traffic and data regarding the the visitors with your statistics tracking software on the server.

Hope this helps!

Thank you very much for the quick reply,

From my understanding would i have to create separate transparent .gif images(different names of course) for tracking different things?

Second, is it possible to print these statistics on website from , for example, awstats?

If not how hard would it be to create my own basic stat tracking app. When I mean basic I mean just page loads.

From my understanding would i have to create separate transparent .gif images(different names of course) for tracking different things?
    Well, when you say different things, what exactly are you referring to? If you mean different pages, then yes, unless your statistics software also tracks where the image was requested from.

Second, is it possible to print these statistics on website from , for example, awstats?
    Depends on the availability of the data that is stored by the software. Some systems may use MySQL, some may depend on a flat file system. You will need to find out how the statistics software stores its data.

If not how hard would it be to create my own basic stat tracking app. When I mean basic I mean just page loads.
    Depends on how much access you have to the content/pages/etc you are trying to track, and how good you are with whatever languages that system is comprised of. If you are simply trying to track your own site, http://analytics.google.com/ is the best there is.

thank you very much, and when i said different things i did mean different pages.

what i am trying to do is track email opens and i believe this is possible with transparent pixels, but i am trying to develop a system that counts every loads of the pixel and i am not sure how to do that.

thanks a lot

I would find a host with a good file tracking statistics software, and use the image method. Keep in mind it won't be 100% accurate, but it's a start. I am sure they have paid services for this type of thing. Constant Contact is popular if you are using this for marketing purposes.

http://monsterweb.net/ has some good hosting packages that feature cPanel with Awstats. You may want to check them out.

To build your own you can use the query string to pass the specific information (such as email address, mailingID, etc). Then instead of pointing directly to the .gif you point to a server-side script that outputs the .gif and also processes the data provided in the query string. This way you only need one .gif and a little bit of clever math.

Thread Information