www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: opacity

Hybrid View

Unhappy opacity

i was on gmail the other day and i noticed the way the background fades when the 'label' name change option popups... i tried this with the opacity css value but it keeps fading the popup too ... pleez help.. i have uploaded the html file as a .txt extention...
    Attached Files Attached Files

You need to understand the CSS spec when it comes to the opacity property. The opacity rule is applied to an element and all children elements of that element. Moreover, no child element can have an opacity greater than their parent element.

For example:
    Code:
    <div style="opacity:0.6">
      background
      <div style="opacity: 1">
         popup
      </div>
    </div>
    In the above code, the popup div will still appear faded because it's opacity cannot exceed 0.6, the lowest opacity of it's ancestor elements.

The only way to make a child element appear more opaque than an ancestor, is to use positioning and trickery. Because there is no exception to the rule that children can have higher opacities than parents, you need to place 'children' outside of their 'parents' in the markup and then use some fancy CSS to position them as if they were children.

i c.. thnx... so i have to create the popup in the body and create another div in the body and fade the div.. and a little bit of z-index???/

Quote Originally Posted by brian8765 View Post
    .. and a little bit of z-index???/
    absolutely. good luck.

thnx i got it working perfectly

Thread Information