dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Advice needed when working with a new developer

Advice needed when working with a new developer

Hi guys i hope you can help im not a developer and neither do i have any knowledge in web design, hence the reason for this post, so hopefully you can help??

My situation is this, i have an idea of which i have extensively done research for and believe it will be a money making venture, how much? who knows?!

my predicament is that i do not know how to go about employing a web developer or designer (if there is any difference)?

without giving too much away i have an idea not to dis-similar to LinkedIn.

how can i protect my idea to prevent the developer stealing it?

should i user a company or a freelancer?

i know this forum is not for tech savy dummies, so apologies.
    any advice would be greatly appreciated.

First, there is a difference between a web designer and a developer. Designers usually focus on front end issues, and developers work under the hood with backend UI (javascript) and server side technologies. Of course, it isn't black and white. Many designers do some great development work and vice versa.

Here are my thoughts on getting a developer.

1. Get a lawyer to draft an NDA and a non-compete for you

2. Work with a developer in the USA. Pursuing legal issues with overseas developers is expensive and time consuming.

3. A freelance will be more flexible than a company on the development and compensation side. If your idea is really good, you may be able to find a freelancer to do the development in exchange for a piece of the action.

Good luck with your idea. I hope it works out for you.

Quint Jensen
    Web Developer
    Scaled Solutions

Many thanks qjensen your comments are very helpful.

so in response, i think i am going to work with a freelance web developer.

as previously mentioned the idea is not to dis-similar to Linkedin, therefore what skills should i look for, for example HTLM code, Java script?

and to keep costs down it has been discussed to seek employment from recent graduates.

any thoughts, suggestions, recommendations are welcome.

kind regards.

It is a concern for everyone: choosing a right web developer. I suppose you can choose someone with reputation / recommendation. And choose a CMS that you are NOT going to depend on the web guy to implement the changes in the future.

Don't limit yourself to recent graduates scooby. There's plenty of fantastic freelance designers/developers out there who haven't necessarily graduated from whatever program you're thinking of.

These might even be a better cost-effective solution as if they don't have some sort of recognized credentials, they may be willing to do the work for less compensation than graduates of certain programs who may feel that letters after their name entitle them to more compensation.

What you want to look for is people with demonstrated capabilities - e.g. a portfolio - and not a mediocre one, a truly great one. Not great in terms of the names that are in it, but great in terms of the design skills/style and also the user experience on the sites that the developer builds.

That being said, it may be of interested to hire a designer (not necessarily developer) AND a developer. I think developers who can design as good as sole designers are an extremely rare breed and to make your website good, you can't just have great functionality OR a great looking website, you need both.

Good luck.

Hi, in my point of view:

Developers (either company or freelancer) are interested in new jobs, new projects, new money, they pay a very little attention on their past projects, show bad attention to fix bugs and issue. Upgrading your project to add more features could be a nightmare if your developer does not want to continue to work with you.

So if your project is important to you, i'm sure it will need to be developed in several steps and phases, that will need a loyal worker who can stick with it from the start to the end. Form your own development team, hire trusted coders and designers, developers do what they told to do, you own the vision and scope, no one can steal it from you.
    Last edited by namduong8889; 10-21-2010 at 02:05 AM.

Thread Information