www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Closer to what I need...

Angry Closer to what I need...

I am still struggling to create a simple FORM that sends several lines of user-submitted data to an e-mail address.

Here is what I am tryin now:

php
    PHP Code:
    <?php
    $to 
    "user@myHost.com";
    $subject "Contact Us";
    $name $_REQUEST['name'] ;
    $email $_REQUEST['email'] ;
    $phone $_REQUEST['phone'] ;
    $class $_REQUEST['class'] ;
    $coupon $_REQUEST['coupon'] ;
    $message $_REQUEST['message'] ;
    $headers "From: $email";
    $sent mail($to$subject$message$headers) ;
    if(
    $sent)
    {print 
    "Your mail was sent successfully, Click your browser's BACK button to return to the previous page"; }
    else
    {print 
    "We encountered an error sending your mail. E-mail us directly at user@myHost.com"; }
    ?>
    HTML
    Code:
    <form 
    style="border:1px solid gray; padding-bottom: 10px; background-color: wheat; padding-left: 10px; width: 360px; padding-right: 10px; padding-top: 8px" method="post" action="contact.php">

&nbsp;&nbsp;Your Name:&nbsp;
    <input style="border-bottom: gray 1px solid; border-left: gray 1px solid; line-height: 25px; width:240px; height: 25px; border-top: gray 1px solid; border-right: gray 1px solid" name="name"><br />

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Your E-mail:
    <input style="border-bottom: gray 1px solid; width:240px; border-left: gray 1px solid; line-height: 25px; height: 25px; border-top: gray 1px solid; border-right: gray 1px solid" name="email"><br/>

Your Phone #:&nbsp;<input style="border-bottom: gray 1px solid; border-left: gray 1px solid; width:240px; line-height: 25px; height: 25px; border-top: gray 1px solid; border-right: gray 1px solid" name="phone">
    <br /><br />

Class Attendinging:&nbsp;<br />
    <input style="margin-left: 25px" type="checkbox" name="class">Core Surge<br />
    <input style="margin-left: 25px" type="checkbox" name="class">Introductory Hatha Yoga<br />
    <input style="margin-left: 25px" type="checkbox" name="class">Martial Arts Fusion<br />
    <input style="margin-left: 25px" type="checkbox" name="class">Vinyasa Yoga<br />
    <input style="margin-left: 25px" type="checkbox" name="class">Pilates
    <br /><br />
    Redeeming a Coupon?
    Enter Code Here:&nbsp;<input style="border-bottom: gray 1px solid; width:345px; border-left: gray 1px solid; line-height: 20px; height: 20px; border-top: gray 1px solid; border-right: gray 1px solid" name="redeeming"><br />

Other Message:<br /><textarea style="border-bottom: gray 1px solid; border-left: gray 1px solid; border-top: gray 1px solid; border-right: gray 1px solid; margin-bottom:6px;" rows="5" cols="43" name="message"></textarea>
    <br />
    <input style="border-bottom: gray 2px ridge; border-left: gray 2px ridge; border-top: gray 2px ridge; border-right: gray 2px ridge; padding-top: 2px" value="Submit Reservation" type="submit"> 

</form>
    When the HTML is installed in the web page and the php file "contact.php" is given to the host server, attempting to fill-in the form only returns the "message" part. The rest (name, e-mail, phone,class, etc.) is omitted.

GRR!

-What am I missing? Keep in mind that I have virtually NO experience with php so verbose explainification is required...
    I build for: Firefox and tweak for IE

You need to build the message with the other variables;

PHP Code:
    $message $_REQUEST['message'];
    $message .= $name ."\n"$email ."\n"$phone.".. etc"

Okay, -I *think* I did this correctly:
    php (file save and named "contact.php")
    PHP Code:
      <?php
    $to 
    "myEmail@myHost.com";
    $subject "Contact Us";
    $name $_REQUEST['name'] ;
    $email $_REQUEST['email'] ;
    $phone $_REQUEST['phone'] ;
    $class $_REQUEST['class'] ;
    $coupon $_REQUEST['coupon'] ;
    $message $_REQUEST['message'] ;
    $message $name ."\n"$email ."\n"$phone ."\n" .$class ."\n"$coupon ."\n"

$headers "From: $email";
    $sent mail($to$subject$message$headers) ;
    if(
    $sent)
    {print 
    "Your mail was sent successfully. Use your browser's BACK button to return to previous page"; }
    else
    {print 
    "We encountered an error sending your mail. E-mail directly to info@myHost.com"; }
    ?>
    HTML (from the web page)
    HTML Code:
      <form method="post" action="contact.php">

Your Name:
    <input name="name">

Your E-mail:<input name="email">

Your Phone #:<input name="phone">

Class Attendinging:
    <input type="checkbox" name="class">Core Surge<br />
    <input type="checkbox" name="class">Introductory Hatha Yoga<br />
    <input type="checkbox" name="class">Martial Arts Fusion<br />
    <input type="checkbox" name="class">Vinyasa Yoga<br />
    <input type="checkbox" name="class">Pilates
    <br /><br />
    Redeeming a Coupon?
    Enter Code Here:<input name="redeeming">

Comment:
    <textarea rows="5" cols="41" name="message"></textarea>

<input value="Submit Reservation" type="submit"> 

</form> 
    I would replace "myEmail@myHost.com" with the client's preferred e-mail for this purpose.
    (And I removed the superfluous styling codes in the FORM to show just the necessary html)

Okay, the FORM. -When I fill-in the required Name, E-mail, Phone, select a Class (from the checkbox), Coupon and Comment and click SUBMIT, I am now getting a e-mail return but only the data from the name, e-mail, phone, coupon and comment. The 'Class' from the checkbox selection is omitted.

-What am I missing now? My suspicion is that because I have named all the classes with name="class" that each one over-writes the previous, ending with a black white for that data. Don't I also require a value="" with these choices?

How can I fix this?
    Last edited by WebJoel; 09-17-2010 at 09:49 PM.
    I build for: Firefox and tweak for IE

Thread Information