www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Embed PDF into HTML using local absolute path

Embed PDF into HTML using local absolute path

Situation: Web application running on a remote server is displaying PDFs. PDF document is stored on client's PC (location is known).

Is there any way to embed that PDF into HTML page with local path?

So far i tried "object", "embed" and "iframe" and with no success.

I tried with file://, file:///, and without, URL with slashes and backslashes and nothing works. It works if opened directy in browser URL, just not by embedding

If you mean can you make a file on your personal computer's hard drive available online, then the answer is 'yes, it's possible', but it would take a significant amount of effort and probably not be a very practical answer for you in the short or long run.

Quote Originally Posted by CFHutton View Post
    If you mean can you make a file on your personal computer's hard drive available online, then the answer is 'yes, it's possible', but it would take a significant amount of effort and probably not be a very practical answer for you in the short or long run.
    No, it's not that. A bit more info:

One par of web application is local digital digital signing using activex component. But i wan't to display a PDF that gets signed beforehand and after. Since documents can be quite large I would'n really want uploading them and then again downloading for displaying.

So far I've localized the issue to Adobe Reader plugin. Looks like it forbids displaying documents from domains outside the one it runs in.

Thread Information