dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Using Wamp Server for PHP

Using Wamp Server for PHP

Hey, I just installed Wamp server on my laptop and everything seems to be running fine, can get into MYSQL and make databases and everything, but I don't know how to use PHP with it. I go into the www folder and make some test PHP and then load it into a browser but it doesn't seem to be reading it as PHP for some reason. I have made sure I have "all services running" not sure if there is something else I am supposed to be doing.

Any help would be appreciated!

Make sure you launch the file via a url (e.g.: "http://localhost/file.php") in the browser address bar, not by double-clicking an icon or via the File->Open menu option. If you just double-click it or such, then it is not being processed by the web server and thus not being routed to PHP for parsing/execution.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

And if you have just set it up make sure the server is 'localhost' , username is 'root' and the password is blank.

Ah yeah I'm dumb, I was just going to the webhost folder and dragging it to my browser. Now when I go through the php admin panel whatever thingy it is all working fine.

SWEET.

Check

Another thing to check. Check the php.ini file via the wamp menu. By default the setting for short_open_tag is set to off which means it wants your php code to be enclosed between <?php and ?>. I left off the php and just used <? ?> so my php code would not run at first. If you want to use <? ?> set the short_open_tag to "On" and restart php. If you always use <?php ?> you can leave the value as "Off".

Anyone know if there is a way to use wamp and IIS at the same time. I installed IIS on my machine and then wamp stopped working. I think there is a way to change localhost port for wamp, but I don't know how.

San Diego Web Development

Thread Information