www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: How detect a tab getting focus?

How detect a tab getting focus?

How can I do something like "browserTab.onfocus = myFunction" by which I mean that "myFunction" would get control any time something in it's browser tab gains focus? E.g., when the user switches from a different browser tab or a non-browser window. I don't need to know what got focus, just that something did in that tab.

"window.onfocus = myFunction" with event capturing works fine except when the main window contains frames. Doing document.getElementById('iframeId').contentWindow.addEventListener('focus',myFunction,true) to add an onfocus handler to the iframe's document works in Firefox except when the frame's content comes from another site, which is my case and I cannot modify that site. I'd rather not poll using document.hasFocus().

Ideas? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by DougL View Post
    except when the frame's content comes from another site, which is my case and I cannot modify that site.
    Then you can do nothing. By default, there is no possibility to gain JavaScript control over a document from another domain, for obvious security reasons.

I only want to know if something in the tab gets focus. I don't really care to get control of another domain.

- Doug

Thread Information