www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Need quick help with web site please

Need quick help with web site please

Please forgive me if this is the wrong place to ask this question. It's just that there are so many people viewing this and not many people viewing the area where this would fit best and I really need help. If I could just get some quick help, I will be happy to delete this from this area and move it. Here is my question:

I am building a Web site in GoLive 6. I am quite good at GoLive and can do a lot of advanced things in the program. However, there are some things I cannot do, and I know that to be as advanced as I am in some areas, there are still some very basic principles that I don't understand. That happens often with people like me who are self-taught and are at various stages of that learning experience.

I am building a Web page and I love, love, love the look I have designed. I have two huge problems with it. The thing is, I am not willing to give up on my design because I know it can be done, and I refuse to not do something great simply due to ignorance. I can learn how to do anything.

Here's the issue: I have a floating box on the left side of my page. It presents me with two problems I need help with:

1. How do I get text to wrap around the floating box; and
    2. How do I get the box to be anchored to the page once the page is built so that it resizes properly with the window instead of staying where it is while the rest of the page resizes around it?

I need help fast on this. I can work in the html code if I have to, but we might have to go a little slower if I have to do that. I am not good with CSS, but I can learn anything, as I said, and I can follow directions perfectly.

Please help me. Oh, and please - no kocky (intentional spelling) developers who need to prove their intellectual superiority over me because I don't know this or other things. Let's just agree that you are intellectually superior and move on with helping me and not be condescending. I've encountered that in the past on other boards, so maybe it will help to address that right at the beginning.

I'm sure no one on this board would be that way, and I appreciate that.

Try to Help if You Can

Hey - if you have any suggestions, I will be greatly appreciative. I'm also happy to send someone a pdf image of what the page looks like that I am trying to put together. I can send someone the page in any format they might need to help me. It is really, really simple except for this one little box. It is a static page.

If you just have a suggestion or a guess, then you are ahead of me.

I am really in a bind.

They have some good GoLive css tutorials at YouTube. One of them might point you in the right direction.

Thanks, but...

Oh, thank you for your recommendation. I have checked YouTube and there is nothing there. I've Googled and Binged the heck out of this and YouTubed it to death. I can't find anything. Actually, this site was probably my last shot.

But, I appreciate you trying to help. If you have any other suggestions - I'd appreciate whatever you have.

Is anyone familiar with the software "Menu Machine?"

Is there a possibility that I could make this work using that software?

Anyone? Anyone?

If you DO happen to find...

Quote Originally Posted by Chipzzz View Post
    They have some good GoLive css tutorials at YouTube. One of them might point you in the right direction.
    Also, Chip, I am not going to ask you to go do my search for me, but I have searched and searched YouTube. However, I don't want to completely dispel your suggestion.

If you possibly find yourself in the YouTube neighborhood and happen upon a link you think might be of assistance, I would be incredibly grateful for such a tip. However, I certainly don't expect anyone to go that far beyond the call of duty.

Hi Joan,
    When I searched "golive css" (without the quotes) at YouTube I found this among the results: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuXxPiX5KEU

It's only 10 minutes and uses GoLive 2 but seemed like it might help you in your efforts to master css which, if I understand correctly, is what you need to do to achieve your goal. There may be other material there from which you could benefit as well. It was just a thought...

-------
    P.S. - When I know everything there is to know, maybe I'll start getting indignant about spending an occasional 10 minutes to help somebody out (but I hope not). Meanwhile, definitely not.

Good luck with your page
    Last edited by Chipzzz; 10-02-2010 at 09:54 AM. Reason: P.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Chipzzz View Post
    Hi Joan,
    When I searched "golive css" (without the quotes) at YouTube I found this among the results: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuXxPiX5KEU

It's only 10 minutes and uses GoLive 2 but seemed like it might help you in your efforts to master css which, if I understand correctly, is what you need to do to achieve your goal. There may be other material there from which you could benefit as well. It was just a thought...

-------
    P.S. - When I know everything there is to know, maybe I'll start getting indignant about spending an occasional 10 minutes to help somebody out (but I hope not). Meanwhile, definitely not.

Good luck with your page

Gosh, Chip, could you be a nicer guy?

I am so grateful for you being so kind to spend time on my problem. Who does that these days? I'll check out your suggestion - and thank you so much. Have a great weekend. You are my hero today!

Thread Information