www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: How to know if Ajax Request?

Question How to know if Ajax Request?

Hi

Is there anyway in PHP to know whether a request has been made via Ajax or is it a normal request?

Thanks

You could set the user-agent to something ('myAjaxRequestAgent' or some such) when you make the xmlhttprequest in your javascript and then check for it in the php.

I don't think there will ever be a 100% sure way, as in the end it is just another HTTP request as far as the server knows, so anything you look for in the HTTP headers or the URL can be simulated by other means.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Thumbs up

HI

I got this link from some reference, thought I should share with you all.

http://www.electrictoolbox.com/how-t...x-request-php/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cancer10 View Post
    HI

I got this link from some reference, thought I should share with you all.

http://www.electrictoolbox.com/how-t...x-request-php/

Thanks
    It's a useful tip, and will help with normal usage, but will do nothing to stop a determined hacker/cracker from simulating it. But then, you didn't say why you were asking.

If, for instance, you just want to know so that the script can decide whether to, say, output a full HTML page (not an AJAX request) or return a JSON object (it is an AJAX request), then it makes perfect sense to do something like that. If, on the other hand, this is more a security/access-contorl issue, then it will not be 100% secure by any means.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."

eBookworm.us

I was concerned about the security which is why was looking for a prevention.

For security, I would depend on whatever access control mechanism you use for "regular" pages. E.g. if you check for a $_SESSION element to see if the user is logged in, you can do the same exact thing in the PHP ajax request handler: the browser will send the session ID cookie with the AJAX HTTP request just as it will with a regular page request.

eBookworm.us

Question: is it possible for a hacker to change the session values?

Nope. (Well, unless he actually gains access to your server and can change the session file contents (or database contents). Hackers will, however, try to steal the session ID cookie from a valid user, via a number of techniques (from high-tech network sniffers to low tech waiting until the user is away from his desk). But none of these issues are specific to AJAX requests, and are things you need to deal with for any PHP application. Check out www.shiflett.org for lots of info and his very useful PHP Security book.

eBookworm.us

How can they harm my application even if they steal the session id of a valid user? because I am validating a user by the session variable

for example:

Code:
    <?php 
    if ((isset($_SESSION['user_name'])) && (!empty($_SESSION['user_name']))){

//user is valid

}
    ?>

Because the way PHP knows which session data to read (if it exists) is based on the PHPSESSID cookie it exchanges back and forth with the browser on each page request. So if I log onto your site and your session_start() creates a PHPSESSID cookie for me with the random value of 'ab12cd341234fe', then you steal my cookie one way or another, then you could connect using that same cookie and access the site using my session data. This is one reason to use SSL/https with a critical site, so that the cookies (and other headers) cannot easily be "sniffed".

eBookworm.us

Thread Information