www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: [RESOLVED] Validating a Checkbox

resolved [RESOLVED] Validating a Checkbox

Hey all,

You may see a few posts from me over the next few days. I'm building a custom validator and I will have questions to ask Todays little gem...more of a question of opinion rather than help i guess

I have the checkbox validation. I have it set onClick, this works perfectly with both the mouse click and also if the space bar is used to select the option, which is great. However if a user simply 'tabs' over the option it doesn't validate real time. The solution I came up with was adding a onKeyDown event to trigger the same function. Would this be a correct solution or is there another more correct answer?

Code:
    <input type="checkbox" id="M_TERMS" name="M_TERMS" value="1" onClick="vldTERMS(this.id);" onKeyDown="vldTERMS(this.id);">

Consider using event delegation, rather than inline events.
    At least 98% of internet users' DNA is identical to that of chimpanzees

OK, that's interesting, thanks for the reply. I didn't want to come back until I had looked in to that method. It is indeed very nice.

I've editted this post because between now and the time i posted I found the concept of adding the event listener, never thought of that before.

However I have received some funky functionality while testing so I will let you know if there is another issue.

I thought I would post the code in case anyone else was interested, plus if this doesn't look 100&#37; to you guys and gals please YELL at me, hehe, no seriously your input is ALWAYS appreciated. And the project needs to be the best it can be.

Code:
    			document.addEventListener('keyup',function(event){

//IE doesn't pass in the event object
    				event = event || window.event;

//IE uses srcElement as the target
    				var target = event.target || event.srcElement;    

var strId = target.id

switch(target.id){
    					case "M_FIRSTNAME":
    					   emptyField(strId,"* Please enter your 'First Name'.");
    						validChars(strId,Letters,"* Your 'First Name' contains invalid characters.");
    					   break;
    				}
    			},true);

document.onclick = function(event){
    				//IE doesn't pass in the event object
    				event = event || window.event;

//IE uses srcElement as the target
    				var target = event.target || event.srcElement;    

var strId = target.id

switch(target.id){
    					case "M_TERMS":
    					   validCheckbox(strId,"* Please accept our Terms and Conditions.");
    					   break;
    					//others?
    				}
    			};
    Last edited by jukesie; 10-21-2010 at 08:13 AM.

Why validate "M_FIRSTNAME" after every character input? Surely onblur.
    At least 98% of internet users' DNA is identical to that of chimpanzees

Firstly, I should've known that something here would break in IE, been testing in FF assuming (yes I know the phrase about Ass+U+Me, lol) that IE would accept it, damn it. So need to work around the addEventListener, which i'm looking at now.

I want the validation to work as the users type, displaying a tick/cross for incorrect input, which at the moment in FF works sweetly, onBlur only runs the validation after the element lost focus(I know you know this) that isn't how I wanted to make this work.

M_FIRSTNAME is only the id of 1 field, I have several 'cases' that refer to different fields in the form, I did this because some have different functions to run, plus they all have custom error messages to be relaid to the user.

Thread Information