www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Rapidly saving text form

Rapidly saving text form

I need to make a generic text field with the bizarre requirements that:

a) the text typed is automatically (or rapidly, on short, fixed intervals) stored on the server

and that

b) the text typed in either disappears or is hidden from view (as in password dots) from the user.

I have a good amount of experience with HTML and Java, but done with this level of complexity. I can't get my head around it. The password dots I know will be easy, but rapidly storing the information in the text field boggles me. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1. use onkeyup event to fire a JavaScript function
    2. That function should, in order:
    - 'transfer' the value to a hidden input (this is optional, for safety)
    - 'clear' the value of the textbox itself
    - fire another function which will send, via AJAX technique, data (the hidden input's value) to a server-side application (in order to be submitted, further, to the server's DataBase). That function could be fired from time to time, on using a setTimeout() or a setInterval(). There might be a problem with the order of the AJAX requests, if they are too frequent / time unit, but this is to be solved, somehow, I guess.

Now: did you need only a schematic solution? How much JavaScript and AJAX do you know? Can you solve and test all these by your own?
    Last edited by Kor; 11-02-2010 at 02:28 PM.

Thread Information