dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Where do I start?

Where do I start?

Hello!

I'm currently at College studying a BTEC National Diploma in IT and plan on going to University for Web Development. I've known basic HTML for about 5 years, but haven't furthered my knowledge much. Recently, I started touching up my HTML skills and can now comfortably build a basic website without needing any help from programmes or source codes.

I've been looking at other languages to learn, and noticed a lot mentioned JavaScript is probably the best language to learn after knowing HTML. I started looking at JavaScript and am starting to pick up the basics.

I just thought I'd get some more opinions. With my current knowledge of HTML and wanting to go into Web Development professionally within the next few years, what should I be moving towards? Which languages should I try and pick up? Should I start learning JavaScript? PHP? or any others?

Lewnatik.

I'm sure you know all of the following but I will go over the basics.

PHP is a server side language, meaning the server will execute the code. Javascript and HTML are client side, meaning the browser will execute the code. CSS is the styling language for HTML.

You should know ALL of them to make a great website or web application. You should also learn about MySQL.

If I were you I would download VirtualBox and Ubuntu server. Build a virtual LAMP server and start building web applications. You will probably learn a tremendous about by doing rather than researching.

I am also curious what others on here think.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanJames1987 View Post
    I'm sure you know all of the following but I will go over the basics.

PHP is a server side language, meaning the server will execute the code. Javascript and HTML are client side, meaning the browser will execute the code. CSS is the styling language for HTML.

You should know ALL of them to make a great website or web application. You should also learn about MySQL.

If I were you I would download VirtualBox and Ubuntu server. Build a virtual LAMP server and start building web applications. You will probably learn a tremendous about by doing rather than researching.

I am also curious what others on here think.
    I hadn't considered looking at building servers. Doesn't seem like a bad idea, though as I said, it's nothing I've ever looked at before. Would I need to know a decent amount of HTML, CSS, PHP and JS before I got started? or could I just jump straight in with the basic knowledge I have?

Lewnatik

I though that building a server was pretty easy, however, I have been using Ubuntu for a few years now. Basically just install Ubuntu on VirtualBox, which is pretty easy, then from the terminal enter “sudo apt-get install lamp-server^”. After that just edit the Apache configurations to your taste and upload your website to the web server root, usually /var/www/

Apache configurations are located in the file /etc/apache2/sites-available/default

I though that building a server was pretty easy, however, I have been using Ubuntu for a few years now. Basically just install Ubuntu on VirtualBox, which is pretty easy, then from the terminal enter “sudo apt-get install lamp-server^”. After that just edit the Apache configurations to your taste and upload your website to the web server root, usually /var/www/

Apache configurations are located in the file /etc/apache2/sites-available/default
    Alright, brilliant. Thanks man.

I'll be starting tonight. Thanks for your help, AlanJames. Much appreciated.
    Lewnatik

I've hit my first problem.. I downloaded the latest version of Ubuntu and burned it to a CD. Ran VB, set up my new system and attempted to boot from the CD. It started out well, and I chose the "Install Ubuntu Server" option. However, I hit a problem shortly after. After googling around finding out what the problem is, I apparently don't have Hardware Virtualisation enabled. So I went into BIOS looking for the option, but couldn't find it. I am running a Dell (Dimension E521) using the built-in processor that come with it. I'm not entirely sure if I was looking in the right place? I'm a real newb at this (already obvious.. :P) and was curious if you knew anything that could help me before I make another thread.

http://i56.tinypic.com/34srz29.jpg

Thanks,
    Lewnatik.

You can use Windows machine for your plans. You can install XAMPP server for your computer with just few clicks. In the installation folder you have a folder (docs I guess) where you can put the files. It's very easy to use. You can connect to the server with http://localhost/xampp

Quote Originally Posted by Jujitsu View Post
    You can use Windows machine for your plans. You can install XAMPP server for your computer with just few clicks. In the installation folder you have a folder (docs I guess) where you can put the files. It's very easy to use. You can connect to the server with http://localhost/xampp
    Hmm. Seems like it may be a better idea, since I currently run Windows and have never used another OS. Thanks, I'll look into it.

Lewnatik

That is probably a good idea. You get the experience of working with a server and learning all the languages but you don't have to learn another operating system.

However, most web servers run on Linux and knowing how to use a Linux system is something that can't hurt. But it probably is a good idea to take it slower and learn one thing at a time.

That is probably a good idea. You get the experience of working with a server and learning all the languages but you don't have to learn another operating system.

However, most web servers run on Linux and knowing how to use a Linux system is something that can't hurt. But it probably is a good idea to take it slower and learn one thing at a time.
    I've now got XAMPP all installed and set up. Got the control panel open and can find my way around the localhost. Now I've gotta find a project to start using it on

Thanks for your help guys.
    Lewnatik.

Thread Information