www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Best Free Forum/ FAQ

Question Best Free Forum/ FAQ

Hi Everyone,

Basically what I am looking for is in between a forum and a FAQ I think.

I don't want users to have to login/ register. It will essentially be a question/ answer type system where a user can ask questions on a number of specific topics. When a user asks the question it is sent to my email address. I will then answer and this should be posted on-line. It is not a discussion as the question will have to be approved before it is posted on-line and the user will not be able to comment again on the question (however this could be a feature we may want to turn on or off). So it is sort of like a FAQ with the user asking the questions. All questions will then be visible in the relevant sections to all users.

I do not want avatars, icons, logins, usernames, users being able to comment without approval, etc

For Example say there is a Q+A section of our webpage and say for example we had a topic of colours; a user could pose the question

Q) How can I make the colour green.

This should then be sent to my email where I would approve if a proper question and then post the answer saying something like

A) By mixing blue and yellow

we could then have other topics like numbers, smells, etc

If anyone knows software that will do this or similar (free would be ideal) please let me know. Our website is already using Joomla however I cannot find any extensions that do this exactly like I want the closest being JFAQPro.

I am happy enough to have this within or external to Joomla as we are already using Wordpress for an external blog

Thanks for reading this and thanks for any advice you may be able to give me

Do you want to extend a site you already have or build a site that performs only the Q/A as you describe?

In either case, running it through email seems really bazare. I would use WordPress. You want users to regisiter and login. The other aspects you list above can be turned off.

Thanks for your response I would like to extend a site that I already have, possibly in the future it will be a standalone site

I do not want users to register or login

I have already got a blog setup using wordpress however I didn't think about that for this usage, it is not exactly what I was looking for however it could possibly be customised to be almost like I want.

Thanks again, however I still welcome further ideas

Thanks, I did try phpBB however maybe a bit much for what I am after. Obviously the code can be edited seeing as it is open source, therefore I am trialling both these suggestions

I'd look into OSQA... it great software for your website that will fit your needs.

Thread Information