www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: second div drops down in ie7

second div drops down in ie7

Hi,
    I'm sure this is simple. I have 2 divs, to be displayed side by side (ie. 2 columns and I must use divs, not tables). both are float:left. the first div has a static width and all content fits in nicely.

The problem: in ffox and ie8, all is well and the second div appears to the right of the first div as a "second column", In IE7, the information if the second div drops down and is positioned under the first div.

I'm not a beginner so any tips as to where to look will help.

CHeers,

Lightbulb

Hey there,

My best guess would be to add fixed to both columns. If there is a width difference between the browsers, you might want to create an IE stylesheet and target a specific width for the right column div.

Let me know how you go.

greenlightmedia.com.au

No luck, same problem., any other ideas?

Does anyone know how If there is a IE developer tool bar type app which would allow me to change css values just like firebug in ffox? this would really help me debug this one.

Hmm, could you post the code?

Internet Developer Bar = http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...d-b8856fced535

greenlightmedia.com.au

Thansk ibrahimA

I have the IDDB but I don't believe it allows one to change the values on the fly like firebug. Am i wrong here?

nah sounds about right, IE was never any good at helping developers out.

greenlightmedia.com.au

I discovered that it had something to do with ie7 not setting the correct width of a div which does is taking it's width from either the parent container or the content. It behaves differently than other browsers. not sure how.

I fixed the problem by using a PHP if statement (the site is Joomla based) and got it to work. a hack, but it works.
    thanks,

resolved

Yeh thought that might of been the case, as mentioned better off creating a stylesheet for ie7 or adjust the width for ie7 and create an ie8+ stylesheet, and call them using conditional comments. That way css is controlled in one place instead of within the code.

I've never used an ie7 specific sheet, although there is one with this template.

if I used this sheet to fix the ie7 problem, what would I put in it to override the declaration found in the general style sheet?

How i would go about it is to build it through firefox first or since its a joomla template, have a look at it in firefox using the default stylesheet set up. From there if you find any differences, i would check to see if this difference occurs in all IE or just IE6 or IE7 or IE8, and build a stylesheet dependant on that.

For this situation, i would set up the defaults as how it shows in firefox in the current style sheet (assuming style.css), and in the ie7.css sheet call the same area as how it is called in style.css but change the width value or add the width vaue.

http://greenlightmedia.com.au

i see. there already is a stylesheet for ie7 ( ie7 is the only one that is causing problems) and i identified that to fix the problem, i need to set, only for ie7 the width of one of the ids. if i simply put the ID declaration in the ie7 sheet, will it override the ID in the style.css automatically?

Yep, as long as your selector is exactly the same in the default sheet.

e.g. if you have

HTML Code:
     #header .foo {
    width: 500px;
    }
    in your stlye.css, then in ie7.css you need to have

HTML Code:
     #header .foo {
    width: 490px;
    }
    not

HTML Code:
     #header {
     width: 490px;
    }

Quote Originally Posted by ggdevelop View Post
    I discovered that it had something to do with ie7 not setting the correct width of a div which does is taking it's width from either the parent container or the content. It behaves differently than other browsers. not sure how.
    Browsers can vary in how they calculate widths (rounding up or down to the nearest pixel). In this case, you could probably reduce the with of the dropping div by a few pixles to fix the problem, best done via a conditional comment.

thanks,
    I'll try it next time I come across this problem.
    thanks for all your help.

Hello All,

Thanks for this useful topic!!!

Thread Information