www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Javascript and COM Objects

Javascript and COM Objects

Hi All

We have a project that requires all data to be stored locally to a PC on a server but the interface must be delivered via a Browser and a secure website.

Due to data protection all data must be stored locally.

We have thought about building a COM component which accesses a database locally and using JavaScript to communicate with the COM component. Effectively a web page containing a HTML form could be delivered to the Browser from the secure website and the data could be populated using JavaScript and our COM component.

Does this sound fesible or stupid?

Many thanks in advance.

RB

use the standard localStorage interface instead of IE-only technologies.

Thank you for the response.

Could you provide me more information please.

The problem I have is that the data needs to be stored on a server in the office centrally and the web pages need to be served from the secure web server externally. The solution will be used by schools and due to UK data protection the data must be stored in the school securely.

The web pages need to be served from a secure web server externally to the school.

I need to know if this is possible. Pages will be served to the Browser and before the page is displayed the data would be retrieved from the local database and then the page displayed to the user.

Quote Originally Posted by BerbBrown View Post
    I need to know if this is possible. Pages will be served to the Browser and before the page is displayed the data would be retrieved from the local database and then the page displayed to the user.
    you can store it locally or remotely. im slightly confused by your wording, but anything's possible. I would guess that origional data come from your server and modifications are stored on thier local machines. localStorage is used the same way as cookies are by scripts, but unlike cookies, the saved data is never transmitted over the web.

Thread Information