www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: SQL brings up incorrect results on AJAX call

SQL brings up incorrect results on AJAX call

Hi everyone

I'm getting a bit confused with a SQL call which pulls up results for a search on a client CMS - basically the client has a list of products which can either be "live" or "recycled" - recycled being temporary deleted and should NOT show up in search results.

I have a function which triggers when the search form is posted, which happens upon keyup. My SQL call in this function is as follows ('kw' being the keyword typed in the search by the client):

Code:
    $data_sql = "
    	SELECT 
    	p.id,
    	p.name, 
    	p.last_modified,
    	CONCAT(u.first_name, ' ', u.last_name) AS user
    	FROM products AS p
    	INNER JOIN users AS u ON p.modified_by=u.id  
    	WHERE p.status='live' AND p.status NOT IN ('recycled') ";

if($kw) {
    		$data_sql .= " AND (p.name LIKE '%" . mysql_real_escape_string($kw) . "%') ";
    	}	

if($categories_id != 0) {
    		$data_sql .= " AND p.id IN (SELECT products_id FROM products_categories_pivot WHERE categories_id = " . intval($categories_id) . ")";
    	}

$data_sql .= " ORDER BY p.position ASC";

$data_rs = mysql_query($data_sql);
    If the client hits return the results come back fine, but the AJAX call upon keyup returns all products, live or recycled. I even printed out the SQL to the screen on keyup and ran it direct in the database - it returns the correct results.

Can anyone shed any light on this? It's doing my head in because I cannot see why the AJAX method of posting would pull up different results....

Unfortunately I cannot give a link to the CMS as it is password protected for the client only, but I'm hoping you get the idea.

Thanks in advance
    Michael

Hmm, very odd yes.

This line is redundant though, doubt it would be the one causing any problems but still:

Code:
    WHERE p.status='live' AND p.status NOT IN ('recycled') ";
    If a row can either have a status of 'live' or 'recycled' then you can remove the AND p.status NOT IN ('recycled') as it will not do anything extra to your query (also one less thing to go wrong).

Archie

Try having the ajax return the query it builds.

Copy and paste that query into a terminal with mysql open... What results does it return?

Try fixing the query up.

Thread Information