www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: search word in mysql

search word in mysql

Hi All,

I am trying to search mysql database for specific word or words.

In the table the data is storing like this
    raj,mitra,male,married,1-February-2010,3-March-2012,laptop#pc,US#UK,b,bad,dummycomments
    (# is used to join checkbox values)

Now my query is

PHP Code:
    select from transaction where valuedata like '%r%' and valuedata like '%a%' and valuedata like '%yes%' 
    Is it the right way to search....what if I want to search within 2 dates...I think in that case it will return only that amount of records which are matched with 2 specific dates only, but not between the dates which falls under 2 posted dates.

Please suggest.

Thanks,
    Raj

Is all that data in one field, or does it represent many separate table columns?
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Hi...sorry for late reply....

yes its all in one field that is "valuedata"

raj,mitra,male,married,1-February-2010,3-March-2012,laptop#pc,US#UK,b,bad,dummycomments

jay,sen,female,single,2-August-2010,23-April-2019,ipad#iphone,GA#IN,c,good,dummycomments1

The data is storing in this way......

Now thinking how can i pull all the dates which fall between 1-February-2010 and 2-August-2010 (i mean if there is any)

You would have to parse the column, perhaps using SUBSTRING_INDEX() to get the two date sub-fields, then applying STR_TO_DATE() to convert them to date types, which then you could finally compare, perhaps using BETWEEN...AND. This, of course, would be highly inefficient, as it would require a full table read each time in addition to that processing, since indexes would be useless in this case. Probably a lot more efficient would be to have split up the data into separate fields in the database, each of the appropriate type, so that the power of the DBMS could be put to use.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."

eBookworm.us

Yes you are right.But the problem is that the fields in the form are all dynamic I mean there is a dynamic form generator which generates a form dynamically.So instead of creating columns I just concatinate each value with comma and insert in the table.

I have no other way except the first method which you told.But i am thinking how can I write the query which matches with 2 date values in the table...any starting idea plz

Here is a little proof of concept script in PHP:
    PHP Code:
    <?php
    mysql_connect
    ('localhost''####''#####') or die(mysql_error());
    $data "one,two,three,four,five";
    $sql "SELECT SUBSTRING_INDEX(SUBSTRING_INDEX('$data', ',', 2), ',', -1) AS fld_2";
    $result mysql_query($sql) or die(mysql_error());
    $value mysql_fetch_assoc($result);
    echo 
    $value['fld_2']; // "two"
    Substitute the DB column name where I have '$data' and change the numeric arg for the inner SUBSTRING_INDEX() to whichever field number you want.

eBookworm.us

Thread Information