www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Server hosting service isn't working out, looking for something new; help wanted

Hybrid View

Server hosting service isn't working out, looking for something new; help wanted

I am currently with hostmonster.com and so far have not had any problems that come to mind, until recently.

I am starting to dable in php and mysql which is supported by hostmonster but not in the way I want it to be. They allow you to set up a database and tables but you have to do it with cumbersome web based software. It is more educational (main reason i am doing it), and in my opinion sleeker to write the code than use their shotty software.

Now here is where you guys come in...Is there a reasonably priced web hosting company that will allow me to create, edit, and delete databases, tables, and entries using php and mysql executed from the browser? I feel like this would a fairly standard option but I have no idea how to even begin looking.

Any host is going to limit your access. You're much better off buying/building a cheap server or even a decent pc. Set it up as a mysql server (you'll learn a fair bit doing that too). Then you have complete control and direct access. If you're doing this to learn, that's the best way, you can make/see changes on the fly and really go to town with it.

Thread Information