www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Webmaster-to-be needing lots of advice!

Webmaster-to-be needing lots of advice!

I just recently got hired to be our company's web guy. Now, I've read through the Sticky: Web-Related Careers thread and it looks like I fit into the Webmaster description (responsible for both web design and web development). I assure you I did not apply for this position, and I was brought into the web design world kicking and screaming. Our old webmaster guy abruptly quit and found a better job and my boss said to me "Look MrSnrub, I know you have absolutely zero experience with HTML and web pages and JavaScript and all that... but I think you'd be the perfect fit for the job!!" Now, while in the long term they do want me to create a completely new website, but that's over a year down the road. For the first several months it's gonna be rather simple tasks: updating users' files, posting notices, building new webpages out of skeleton pages that are already there, stuff like that. So I do have a lot of time to attend training and read books and do whatever it takes. Another big plus is my boss has pretty much given me free reign to purchase any software I need no matter what the cost. Which brings me to my question: I have compiled a list of software, books, and training classes that cover the entire spectrum of web design and development as stated in that other thread.

• WEB DEVELOPMENT SOFTWARE

• General:
        • Microsoft Expression Web 4. I chose this over Dreamweaver CS5 simply because I feel it would provide better compatibility with my SQL Server database and my ASP.Net applications (see below). Correct me if I'm wrong.

• ASP.Net:
        • Visual Studio 2010 Professional. I choose C# over VB for my ASP.Net web applications because I'm heavily into C++ programming in my "old" job, so it should certainly be a smoother transition than VB would.

• Databases:
        • My company already has a license for SQL Server, so I'll be using that.

• WEB DEVELOPMENT BOOKS

• WEB DESIGN SOFTWARE

• Image Manipulation:

• Adobe Photoshop CS5. Yes it is rather expensive at $629, but I think I'll still choose it over GIMP for two reasons: 1. Supposedly there are still lots of things you can do with Photoshop that you can't do with Gimp. 2. There is such an enormous amount of helpful documentation and forums out there for Photoshop that if I ever get stuck it'll be much easier for me to find solutions than if I was using GIMP.

• WEB DESIGN BOOKS:

• WEB DEVELOPMENT/DESIGN - TRAINING

• For some reason, I'm having a very difficult time finding some satisfactory training courses. I'm REALLY down on taking online training courses. I would get distracted too easily. I'd learn a lot more if I could go to a classroom and be able to talk freely face-to-face with not just with the instructor but also with other classmates. Another problem is that of the few classroom-based training classes I have been able to find (such as here) are modest one-to-two day "introductory" types. I was hoping to find a far more in-depth and intense five-to-ten day monstrosity of a training course. One in which I would work like crazy for 12 hours a day over an intense week, and then when it's all over I'd walk out of there as an absolute GURU of web design and development. Anybody know anything like that?

A couple months of all that and I should be well on my way to being a successful webmaster. Please let me know if there are some bad choices there or if someone can recommend something better.

Forget any kind of WYSIWYG software for building pages. You're already comfortable with code, just code the pages by hand.

I can't address any of the book choices, but as far as references on the web, nothing beats W3schools.com. Simple, organized, easy to search comprehensive reference for all Web technologies.

As far as manipulation of graphics, yes, Photoshop is the industry standard, but then I'm not a graphics guy.

A good site for video tutorials if you are more of an audio learner is lynda.com. The specialize in Adobe stuff and have excellent series for photoshop and flash and stuff.

Thread Information