www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Quicktime player not playing on web

Quicktime player not playing on web

The following code is supposed to play an mp4 movie in QuickTime on a web page. If I click on the file in Windows Explorer, it plays the file okay in IE or Firefox. But if I try to open it over the web, Firefox shows the big blue "Q" symbol of QuickTime and writes both the error messages, and IE displays a faded "Q" with a question mark over it. The Firefox Error Console shows no errors, warnings or messages.

The one clue I have is that Safari's Error Console says "Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (Not Found)" and gives the name of the video. But the path and name are both correct. And it's finding the css file in the css folder no problem.

Code:
    		<object classid="clsid:02BF25D5-8C17-4B23-BC80-D3488ABDDC6B" codebase="http://www.apple.com/qtactivex/qtplugin.cab" type="image/x-macpaint" height="480" width="640">
    			<param name="src" value="test.mp4" /> 
    			<param name="autoplay" value="true" />
    			<param name="controller" value="true" />
    			object failed to play movie
    			<embed src="test.mp4" type="image/x-macpaint" pluginspage="http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download" height="480" width="640" autoplay="true controller="true">
    				Failed to embed
    			</embed>
    		</object>
    Currently I've got the type set to "image/x-macpaint" but it behaves just the same when type is set to "video/mp4". I also tried using the data attribute in the object tag instead of using a param tag to pass the src, but that didn't work either. Is it some strange problem with the internal structure of my file? I have tried it with other mp4s and have the same problem.

I have also tested this in Opera and Chrome, and it doesn't work in either of those either.

Any help or tips anyone can give me would be very much appreciated. I am testing this on a Dell PC running Windows XP SP3, Firefox 3.6.13 and IE 8. It also doesn't work at home on a Dell running Windows 7 and the same browsers.

This is in a completely stripped down HTML file which I made for debugging this particular code. There is nothing else happening on the page at all.

Please let me know of any other information that would be helpful.

Thanks.
    Last edited by goldenthroat; 12-26-2010 at 11:50 AM.

Here is sample code that I use... plays mp4 in IE, FF, Chrome, and Safari:
    Code:
    <object classid="clsid:02BF25D5-8C17-4B23-BC80-D3488ABDDC6B" codebase="http://www.apple.com/qtactivex/qtplugin.cab" height="256" width="320"> 
    				<param name="src" value="CEIOL_Narated_4-14-08_old.mp4">
    				<param name="autoplay" value="true">
    				<param name="type" value="video/quicktime" height="256" width="320">
    				<param name="wmode" value="transparent"/>
    				<embed src="CEIOL_Narated_4-14-08_old.mp4" height="256" width="320" autoplay="true" type="video/quicktime" wmode="transparent" pluginspage="http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/">
    				</embed>
    			</object>
    give it a try.
    Best wishes,
    Eye for Video
    www.cidigitalmedia.com

Thank you

Thank you for taking the time to reply and give me your suggestion. I tried your code, and played around with it, and unfortunately I couldn't get it to work over the web either. I'm flummoxed. Have you ever heard of such a problem with a video object before? I went to your website and notice that you use a custom-made player. Do you prefer that to QuickTime? I don't even know what other options exist.

Here is a working link to the exact code used above (plays is IE, FF, Chrome, Safari). The page is also being used to illustrate how to sandwich Flash between two layers of HTML... but I've turned off the Flash part for now so you can test for yourself the mp4 code.
    http://www.cidigitalmedia.com/tutori...ay_qt_new.html
    If you can't view the video, you may not have the QuickTime plugin installed in your browser. If that's the case, it is just another reason to use Flash and .flv videos instead of QuickTime.
    Flash is much more widely used because more people already have the Flash browser plugin install. The sample page in the link above actually has both a Flash .flv video and a QT mp4 video on the page. Then, using swfobject for Flash detection, if a viewer visits the page and has the Flash plugin... the Flash version plays... if not (like the iPhone for example) then the QT version plays.
    So I recommend using Flash, but you can have QT as a fall back.
    More info on swfobject:
    http://code.google.com/p/swfobject/
    Best of luck to you on your project!
    Eye for Video
    www.cidigitalmedia.com

If you put the URL of the video in your location bar do you get the video or a 404 error? It sounds like you might've forgot to upload the video to the server.

The video is definitely uploaded...

It turns out that it needs to be "hinted" for streaming, but I can't find a free program that hints mp4 files. Do you (or anybody) know of a downloadable executable free program that will add a hinting track to an mp4 movie? I found free/open source video editing programs, but couldn't get them to add a hinting track.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The other possibility is to convert the movies to .flv (Flash video) but then I need to know how to dynamically write the flash player to the appropriate div in the web page. I've got the code that does that for the QuickTime player, but I'm not sure how to do it for Flash. I can't find a Mime type for Flash - I guess it doesn't need one.

Thread Information