www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: What do you think about this

Thumbs up What do you think about this

So basically I want to make a website where users can post virtually any location-based

information, the information will be sorted into categories, and (via checkboxes/search

combo or something) can be displayed on the map with clickable details. This will heavily

rely on google maps I'm sure. This will include your events (link with

facebook/myspace/whatever), other posted local events from local clubs/bars/whatever, etc.

Anyway the clincher is we will also have locations of police activity! Mainly

roadblocks/checkpoints and speed traps. Everything posted will have a timestamp and police activity is locally known to last an average amount of time depending on the activity so the locals will figure it out quickly. We can set the website to auto-delete across the board if no end-time is specified depending on event. Anyway that's technical details. The reason google won't do this themselves is because it's too controversial, but launching the whole thing on this platform appeals to every aspect of living local life in the users' area.

Since we'd be relying so much on Google (probably) I bet if we fleshed this out we might could get a partnership of some sorts with them, at least under the table.

By the way the police activity intel should be covered under the freedom of information act I think. I figure we get some good lawyers and we'll be fine.

So...what do you think? And if you steal my idea I'll sue you faster than a speeding bullet

Quote Originally Posted by rulesibreak View Post
    So...what do you think? And if you steal my idea I'll sue you faster than a speeding bullet
    Already available from the Government in Holland
    No-one is going to be suing anyone for something probably available in many countries.
    At least 98% of internet users' DNA is identical to that of chimpanzees

Thumbs up

Well heck. Is it still possible to develop a US version? Holland's isn't near as cool as I picture it in my head

Why not give it a try?
    Personally I think the sites that SMS/tweet you in real time during your journey more useful.
    Last edited by Fang; 12-29-2010 at 08:36 AM.
    At least 98% of internet users' DNA is identical to that of chimpanzees

Thumbs up

that's a great idea! Sign up for (SMS and however else) alerts based on category, time and location.

Well I'm just the idea/direction guy. To make this happen I need a team. I have some web design and development experience, but most of it is archaic these days. I bet I could pull this off with 3-4 other people honestly.
    Last edited by rulesibreak; 12-29-2010 at 11:29 AM.

Thread Information