www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Website issues. Photoshop layout to HTML

Website issues. Photoshop layout to HTML

Hey all,

I'm new here, and need some website help!

Anyway... I created a website layout/site in Photoshop CS 5. The website: www.thegarbagedump.net I saved it as a html & images.. The issue I am having is when you click one of the bottons I want it to open the html document and display it within that square area with the border around it. I know I probably need a frame to do this, however I dont know how to add a frame, and it appears photoshop saved it in tables.. Could you please review the html source, and tell me how/where to add a frame, and make the Home, About, Domains button appear within that square area with the border?

Thank You,
    Justin

what is the html document you are trying to display in a frame?

I don't recommend you use photoshop or dreamweaver to generate web pages. As you can see it produces deprecated html, table based layouts, and obtrusive javascript. It doesn't even validate.

I'm trying to display home.html in a frame within that black border..

What do you suggest using for building a website? How are these elaborate websites built? Do they use just code, or are they using a wsywig edior aswell?

I would replace that rectangular image with an iframe as you suggested, and as its src parameter place home.html. Something like this:

<iframe src="html_intro.html">
    <p>Your browser does not support iframes.</p>
    </iframe>

Then you can style it as you wish. Nice logo by the way.

Today's elaborate web sites are carefully designed and hand coded. They are clean, efficient, and neatly coded, with a strong emphasis on separation of content (HTML), behavior (javascript), and styling (css). They also obey the DRY principle (Don't Repeat Yourself).
    For small sites or for learning using photoshop/dreamweaver is okay. But no serious web site is going to publish invalid or deprecated html.

Thank you so much for resonding, and helping me.. I have another ? though... What is the best way to learn HTMl & be able to put in all these other languages? It seems these days things are pretty confusing because you need this language for that, and that language for this.. How do you keep it all together?

That's how it is. You may be able to create a few web pages with HTML but there is much more to a website than that. Start with a thorough understanding of HTML. Semantics, conventions, how to code valid html. Then learn how to add styling to your pages with CSS. Then you can learn JavaScript to enhance your pages if need be. These three technologies so far are collectively referred to as the front end since they live on the client's computer (in their browser).

What goes on before the document is sent to the browser is called the back end. It is the code that exists in your server to create and deliver the content to the user. Back end languages include PHP, .NET, Java, Ruby, Coldfusion, Python, Perl, etc. This is the code responsible for communicating with the database as well. You will also need to learn SQL, which is the language used with databases. Then you will get into server management which involves settings, backups, etc. You can use Apache or IIS for this. As you can see, there is a lot more to it than just typing some tags into a document.

So in conclusion, this is the order I recommend:

HTML
    CSS
    Javascript
    PHP or another back end language
    SQL
    Apache/IIS

However, it is rarely the case that one person is responsible for all of this. At my company, I am the front end developer so I take care of the HTML, CSS and JavaScript. We have a back end developer who codes in Ruby on Rails. We have a DBA who manages the database, and we have a Systems Administrator who manages the server.

Thread Information