www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: target div tags

target div tags

How do you target a screen area defined by div tags like you target a screen area defined by frames ?

Presuming the content that you're trying to put in the div is from your own site, you need to change your mindset around. You don't "target" a piece of content into a box anymore. What you do is provide an entire web page with the new content in that div. So the link you click on to cause this (e.g. maybe from your navigation) should just be a standard <a href="newpage.html"> kind of link, and newpage.html would have the right stuff in the right place.

Dave

Thank you for that.
    How do you click a link in one div tag area and have it put a page in another div tag area ?

You call you DIVs IFRAMEs.
    “The power of the Web is in its universality. Access by everyone regardless of disability is an essential aspect.”
    —Tim Berners-Lee, W3C Director and inventor of the World Wide Web

Quote Originally Posted by neginf View Post
    Thank you for that.
    How do you click a link in one div tag area and have it put a page in another div tag area ?
    So is the "page" you want to display a page of your own development, on your own site? Or is it a page from some other web site. If it's another web site, I agree with Charles, use an iframe for it. But if it's your own site, you should not use an iframe, you should just link to the page itself as I mentioned above.

Dave

Sorry for not understanding right but if the link is in a div area, how does it know to put my page in another div area ?

It doesn't "put it in another div area", that's the point. Make two pages. Page 1 looks like what you're thinking now is your page (some navigation, some content). Page 2 looks a lot like it, has the sane navigation, and some other content (that corresponds to what you're wanting to be this ""other content in your div"). So both those pages are *complete* web pages with headers, navigation and content. Then you link the navigation from page 1 to the *entire* page 2, not just point it into some div.

I hope that makes sense...

Dave

Thread Information