www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: I want to do freelance web deveolopment...

I want to do freelance web deveolopment...

I was considering taking PHP, MySQL and (html. css, dreamweaver ) courses in order to work as a freelance web developer.
    So, my question is, Is there alot of web programming jobs on the net?
    How is the pay per job? I'm a college student. I'm not doing it for a living, I want some money to spend on electronics and stuff
    How long would an average job usually take?
    The courses will waste all my summer vacation time, so is it worth it?
    Thanks for your help

I suppose if you get some word of mouth, it's ok. I've never had any luck with it, for spare cash or a livelihood. Pay depends on people are willing to pay for your services.
    Ryan Butler

Ryan Butler.org

thanks for replying
    so you think i should drop it?

That depends on how much drive you have to make it work. I've known a couple people that didn't have a problem maintaining a couple websites on the side for some cash....and I've also known a couple people who couldn't seem to get even a low paying gig if they were to pay the client for the privilege.

Umm so it depends on luck and free time
    ok, then. thank you very much.

I wouldn't say luck per say. More like how much effort they put in and who they know that they have pitched themselves to. The ones who have a nice thing going started with clubs or churches they were affiliated with.

There are a couple things to consider:
    1.) You more than likely won't be in the skill range of a good developer from a single set of summer courses.
    2.) Getting jobs intially is tough.

For #1, you have to understand that a single set of summer courses is not going to provide you with all of the skills or knowledge required to compete with the (good) devs that are already out there. HTML is much more than simple markup, its HTML 4, 5, XHTML, knowing and utilizing w3 standards and wcag. Today's environment is also about dealing with existing cms's and at times programming your own. Its also about mixing the client and server side development, along with efficiency/performance on both ends. Now, with that said, i will say that a set of summer courses probably will give you enough knowledge to hack your way through a site for a local community site, like for churches and such. So, this is (at least in my interpretation) what criterion is meaning by "drive". The courses will give you a basic starting point, which will leave you limited in the jobs you can get, but if you have the drive you can learn past the courses and more opportunities will present themselves (so to speak).
    For #2, jobs are very hard to get... if you're just starting out. This is partially because you have no portfolio and so others may be a bit wary of hiring you on. But its also because you have no network of people to get jobs from. However, a word of warning, as you start freelancing you'll also run into the many client satisfaction issues. Don't expect a client to 100% understand what they want, you have to sort of coax it out of them. You may even do exactly what they say and they won't be happy with it. How you handle these issues also translates into future jobs and repeat business.

To summarize, by all means if you're interested in web development, take the courses. But you have to have a drive to do well in the business.
    Last edited by Jarrod1937; 01-08-2011 at 11:05 AM.

Thanks criterion9 and Jarrod1937
    I will try to learn some stuff off the internet and if i like that i will go deeper

Thread Information