dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Self Contained Dynamic Websites

Self Contained Dynamic Websites

Hi,

I'm new here but I have an important question, for me at least.

I would like to know if it is possible to create dynamic websites without:

1. a database like mysql
    2. server side scripting

The reason I ask this is because even when my host fails at times, my html sites are still showing, just not the dynamic sites.

I would like to be able to create a site that is dynamic but does not depend on the database run on a server or scripting run on a server.

I am aware of blog cms apps like flatpress that creates blogs with a flat file database but it still uses php.

Possibly, is there something that can be installed and used on a server as long as the pages can be served to a browser, maybe client side java and a flat file?

Thanks for your help in advance
    Andrew Witherspoon

I believe as long as the data is not complicated, you can do it with plain text files. Has to be done intelligently though using directories, subdirectories and at times certain values in text files. Depending on how complex the database is and how complex the site itself is, I think it's achievable. But may or may not be advisable.

Thanks for the response,

Do you know of any resources I can read to help me develop such an app or are you talking about SSI?

Andrew

I have done it in the past, but with server side code. I think there are ways of reading text files in JS. If you Google, you will find plenty of sample coding.

If your host is unreliable find a new host. An unreliable host is not a good reason to try to hack around at a bandaid solution.

>>>If your host is unreliable find a new host. An unreliable host is not a good reason to try
    to hack around at a bandaid solution.

It isn't that my host is so unreliable, all servers eventually have problems. I'm looking for a solution that will resolve such issues when the host server has a problem, regardless if they are supposed to be dependable or not.

I would just like to be able to have the freedom to host a site without the dependence on server resources accept for delivery of content.

In this way, I could use a server that does not support databases or server side scripting and everything would still work.

Thread Information