www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Another beginner has a puzzling problem!

Another beginner has a puzzling problem!

Hello to all,

I was a mainframe programmer for 30 years until my job was outsourced to India in 2006. Being a "dinosaur", I had no experience at all with Java Script (and other modern day languages).

I decided to build my own website after I got the boot. I decided on using FrontPage 2003 and coded some HTML and JavaScript.

I have a puzzling problem with a scroller that did work at that time with, I think, IE 6. I have the following code:

<script LANGUAGE="JavaScript">

<!-- Beginning of JavaScript Code -------------------
    function scroller(myText){
    textlen=myText.length;
    newText=myText.substring(2,textlen)+myText.substring(0,2);
    window.status=newText;
    setTimeout("scroller('"+newText+"')",270);
    }
    scroller(" Welcome to Captain Enterprises .... it is a work in progress ...... any suggestions are welcome.... and thank you for visiting .... please stop back again "
    );
    //-->

</script>

I believe when I upgraded to IE 7, this code did not work. I have 2 computers, one with IE 7 and the other with IE 8. For both computers, the scroller does not work. HOWEVER, when I use the computer at the public library, the scroller WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And the computer at the public library is running IE 8.

Again, I am a newbie to all of this.... thus I don't have the proper skill set to "debug" this type of problem. What I did was to check the version of Java on my IE 8 computer and that on the Library's. They are the same: Java 6 update 23.

I compared Internet settings under advanced; essentially mine are the same as that of the library (where I think could make a difference).

I called a friend today who has IE 8, and the scroller did not work on her computer either. Her version is: 8.0.7600.16385

My home PC's version is: 8.0.6001.18702 and, and, ..... the library's version is the same!

This anomaly is bugging me, no pun intended. It is not essential to have this scroller, but initially I dismissed its "disapperance" to IE 7 and IE 8, UNTIL I saw the scroller working at the library a couple of days ago.

I am hoping someone can give me some pearls of wisdom and guidance to further debug this problem (and to save my sanity, whatever is left of it).

Thanks!!!!

With kind regards,

~ Kathie

Remember the status bar can be hidden in IE, and is disabled by default in FireFox.
    It would probably be easier just to scroll the document title...

Code:
    <script type="text/javascript">
    	(function ($text)
    	{
    		var $title = document.title;
    		setInterval(function() {document.title = $title + ' - ' + ($text = $text.substr(2) + $text.substr(0, 2));}, 270);
    	}('Welcome to Captain Enterprises .... it is a work in progress ...... any suggestions are welcome.... and thank you for visiting .... please stop back again '));
    </script>
    Last edited by thraddash; 01-18-2011 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Made the text scroll the other way, made it use existing page title

[QUOTE=thraddash;1134467]Remember the status bar can be hidden in IE, and is disabled by default in FireFox.
    It would probably be easier just to scroll the document title...

THANKS! I inserted your code into my home page (wasn't sure what you meant by document title, remember now I am a newbie!! ). And I now see what your code does!!!

I will later insert your code into my other pages as well.

My status bar is not hidden. So, I wonder if you have any other thoughts as to why my scroller appears at the library and not at my home???

By the way, if you visit my site, do you see the scroller in your status bar?

I have my website in my profile, but it is www.captainenterprises.com

In closing, I thank you for letting me know how to put my message into the document title.

With kind regards,

~ Kathie

I checked out your site.

Looks like you have already placed the code I submitted, however I don't see any status changes with the original scroller code in my browser (IE8).

Hi again,

Thanks for looking.

I am so puzzled why we don't see the scroller in the status bar, yet at the library it appears! Not that it is a big deal, but it is so puzzling to me!

Can you think of any settings I should check between my PC and the one at the library??

Strange!!!

But now I have all pages of my website updated with your code and I thank you again!

Take care for now!

~ Kathie

Just for interest sake, I found a website describing the problem your facing...

http://developsoftware.blogspot.com/...ible-thru.html

Seems to be a security threat if enabled by default, so all the browsers turn it off.

Quote Originally Posted by thraddash View Post

Seems to be a security threat if enabled by default, so all the browsers turn it off.
    Thanks! I will check out the blog; by the way, what key search words did you use? I attempted Google searches for my problem, but did not know how to word it.... hence my joining this forum to tell my story.

And I thank you so much for your speedy help!!!!!

I truly appreciate it.

At the library, they have Custom Security settings (and I do not - mine is set to Medium-High); apparently, the library has turned "it" back on. I did screen prints of the library's security settings and maybe I can find out what enbables their computers "to see" the status scroller.

Wow.

I will close here and read the blog.

Thanks... and I will await your reply in regard to what words you used to search.

With kind regards,

~ Kathie

I just looked for "how to allow window.status ie" in google. I used the first result.

Unfortunatelly even if you find out how to re-enable the status bar, you cannot rely on your readers to reduce their security settings. Unless they add your site into their "Trusted Sites". (I just did that and it works now)

Good luck.

Thumbs up

WOW WOW WOW.... I just read the blog and enabled the security feature to allow status bar updates..... and I now see my scroller!!!!! Apparently the library likes to walk on the wild side!!!!!! And I referred to my screen prints, and indeed, the library has this setting enabled (as expected after I read the blog).

Mystery is solved THANKS TO YOUR HELP. I can't thank you enough!!!!

I will now sleep better!!!

With kind regards,

~ Kathie

I just looked for "how to allow window.status ie" in google. I used the first result.

Unfortunatelly even if you find out how to re-enable the status bar, you cannot rely on your readers to reduce their security settings. Unless they add your site into their "Trusted Sites". (I just did that and it works now)

Good luck.
    As I was writing my last message, I had yet to see the above message.

I agree with you 100%.

I think I will leave "my" status scroller in place for now. Most probably won't ever see it.

And I thank you for the search words; I would not have ever been able to come up with those!!!

You saved the day! And I thank you from the bottom of my heart. With the title scrolling, all will be able to see - both in IE and Firefox. Again, a great idea!!!!

As I mentioned previously, mystery is now solved.

THANKS AGAIN.

With kind regards,

~ Kathie

Thread Information