dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: How much to charge for a site build?

How much to charge for a site build?

Hey everyone,

I am relatively newer to the web design/development industry (2yrs or so) and am starting to get some freelance opportunities and was curious how much I should be charging. With that said, I know things are more on a time by time basis depending on the number of pages, type of coding, graphics, etc. But I was hoping you guys could break it down for me a bit and help me out.

I did some research online and people are saying in the $1,500-$2,500 range of ($75-$90/hr). With my situation and me really looking for portfolio pieces above all but absolutely welcome the extra money, what do you guys think?

At this point in time, I need to gather more information from the potential client in regards to details of what they are looking for but from what I am assuming as of right now they are really looking for basically a face lift for their current site that currently has around 4-5 pages.

Thanks in advance for your input, much appreciated.
    Last edited by nodnarbnap; 01-25-2011 at 03:51 PM.
    Share on Google+

I only know of 2 pricing model. Charge by the hour and charge by the project. Usually organizations like to charge by the project as it is easier to keep control on the cost factor. It implies based on requirement given to freelancer, you are supposed to "take" all other risks that may arise LATER in your development which you have not forseen at the initial evaluation stage.

If charge by hour, later on encounter some problem that takes much longer than usual, you just bill more hours so it is beneficial to freelancers.

As for pricing I believe it depends on the country ? Already we have seen US Europe or even Aussie developers complaining Asian freelancers of quoting super-low quotation to secure deal but not providing quality work.

So in the end the onus is on the organization to make a final decision.

Last time when I have not got a permanent job, I do freelance I provide the first prototype (say implement 2 out of the 10 requirements) FREE to demonstrate my capability to complete the other requirements. It is like giving assurance to them I can do the job.

Of cuz I do encounter some of them that take my prototype discontinue my services and use the prototype by engaging others but that is a risk I have to take to prove my mettle so I accept such arrangement.

In general Western organizations are not so devious scheming compared to Asian so I generally am able to secure services with them. Asian organizations will think of other ways to under-cut your quotation e.g I got no time to do a full featured documentation, they deduct 20% of my quotation, too many bugs discovered impact schedule deduct another 20% etc etc tactics.
    Share on Google+

Some interesting fact you have brought up here in regards to the costs in different countries. I live just outside New York City so I assume costs are a bit more than more suburban or rural areas, or even other smaller cities for that matter. With that said, I do recognize my inexperience and ability levels so obviously cannot charge the same amounts a larger, more experienced agency can.

I am more so just looking for almost a grading scale in a sense this way I get fair compensation for my work without overshooting my skills and abilities. This will be another great portfolio piece (as long as it comes out good) as it will be a reputable company and the site itself would be LIVE.
    Share on Google+

Pricing discussions are not permitted.
    54 68 65 42 65 61 72 4D 61 79
    Share on Google+

Thread Information