www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Live streaming of camera on my site

Hybrid View

Question Live streaming of camera on my site

I want to add a live stream of a camera at my home to my website. Not sure how to do this. I can't find anything online to help me with this.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

some information will be needed first:
    1: what OS do you use
    2: what camera do you use
    3: what server do you use
    4: do you want it to be cross platform or for a specific browser

Forgot to say I want to stream to my website 24/7 but I want to have to leave a computer on all the time. The camera is running at the moment but its just connected to a dvr.

I use Ubuntu.
    It's a CCTV camera.
    I want it to be cross platform.

Thanks

i dont know much about hooking CCTV to the computer, if you have already fixed that problem and have a way to take an image from it you can use a php script like this (FF/chrome only)
    <?php
    $boundry="hello world"
    while(1)
    {
    $file=popen("pictureTaker.sh","r");
    $image=file_get_contents($file)
    pclose($file);
    header("Content-Type: multipart/x-mixed-replace;boundary=".$boundry);
    print "--".$boundry."\n";
    print "Content-Type: (mime-type of image)\n\n";
    print $image."\n"
    print "--".$boundry."\n\n";
    flush();
    usleep(1666);
    }
    this assumes that the script which takes a picture returns the image on stdout, if it returns it into an image file then you want to fopen that image the rest is the same.

as for cross platform i suspect you will need java or flash...i dont have much experience in that area, but it will likely be better (for instance mine is video with no audio)

The thread title talks about Live streaming, which is different than just taking an image. It's actual, live video. Perhaps Joey8802 could clarify.
    If actual streaming is the goal, then you'll need encoding software on the local computer, something like Flash Media Live Encoder or Windows Media Encoder. The camera feeds the video stream to the encoder, the encoder encodes it and then send it to a streaming server, not a regular web server, but a streaming server like Adobe Flash Media Server, Red5, or Wowza. Or stream to a service like Ustream or JustinTV.
    Google each of those items and you learn a heck of a lot about how to do live streaming.
    Best wishes,
    Eye for Video
    www.cidigitalmedia.com

Hi, This is an old thread, but the answer can be useful for others. We are currently evaluating Ozeki Camera SDK to display the stream of our webcameras on our website.

We have chosen this camera SDK because our applications are developed in .NET, and we would like to built this functionality to one of our C# application, as well. We have only one problem that is the following: the web viewer application has to be developed using Adobe Flash Builder, and we are not familiar with that.

In this case we need to develop two applications:
    - server: it will be connected to the IP cameras and it can be developed in C#, VB.NET or Visual C++
    - client: it will be connected to the previous server application, and receives the camera stream. It can be developed in Adobe Flash Builder.

About How to display IP camera stream on a website, you can read here.

Thread Information