www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: How can I carry a value forward from one web page to another

How can I carry a value forward from one web page to another

I have been searching, without success so far, for a script that will allow me to carry a value forward from one web page to another.

In the first I have a text entry field iName

In the second I have a text entry field os1

Is it possible to carry forward the value of iName and have it automatically entered as the value of os1 on the second page? I don't need to show it on the page but I do want the value to be transmitted when the form is 'posted'.

I fear my Javascript knowledge is very much beginner so if this is a simple thing to do I apologise, but I can't fathom it!

Typically you pass information through an HTML form and post the data to a server side language such as PHP. Here's a basic example:

http://www.w3schools.com/php/php_forms.asp

You passing data through the form to the php page which grabs the submitted values and can do whatever you need.

If your form's method = POST then the form's action page will receive th form data in $_POST. If the method = GET then the form data will be received in $_GET.

Alternatively, if you do not use form submission to transfer data to another page, you can either append a query string of name/value pairs to the destination url or use cookies.

If your form's method = POST then the form's action page will receive th form data in $_POST. If the method = GET then the form data will be received in $_GET.
    Don't forget, if the form method=GET, then not only can the server-side language get the data, but JavaScript can get the data from the URL parameters (aka NVP) that are used in place of a POST submission.

Play around with this:

Code:
    function getURLandNVP() {
        var thisURL = document.URL;
        var arrayURL = new Array();
            arrayURL = thisURL.split("/");
        var arrayLen = arrayURL.length;
        var thisDelim = "/";
        var thisPath = "";
        var thisNVP = "";
        var qs = false;
        var nvp, thisPart, pre, sp;
        for(i=3; i<arrayLen; i++) {
            thisPart = arrayURL[i];
            thisPartLen = thisPart.length;
            nvp = thisPart.indexOf("?");
            sp = thisPart.indexOf(".");
            if((nvp == -1) && (!qs)) { // If NO URL parameters, add to path
                thisPath += thisDelim + thisPart;
                }
            else if((nvp > -1) && (!qs)) { // If URL parameters, get path and separate from URL parameters
                pre = thisPart.substring(0,nvp);
                thisPath += thisDelim + pre;
                thisNVP = thisPart.substring(nvp+1,thisPartLen);
                thisNVP = thisNVP.replace("&","\n","all");
                }
            else if((sp > -1) && (!qs)) { // If using slash delimiter after document name
                qs = true;
                thisPath += thisDelim + thisPart;
                }
            else if(qs) {
                thisNVP += "\n" + thisPart;
                }
            }
        var thisAlert = thisPath; if(thisNVP.length != 0) { thisAlert += "\nwith NVP of\n" + thisNVP; }
        alert(thisAlert);
        }
    Once this is in the head of a page and you have onLoad="getURLandNVP();" in the body tag, go to that page, then add the following to the URL:
    ?a=1&b=2&c=3&d=I&#37;20like%20NVP
    and click the GO button. You'll get an alert that shows you all the information after the document name.

^_^

Quote Originally Posted by cbVision View Post
    Typically you pass information through an HTML form and post the data to a server side language such as PHP. Here's a basic example:

http://www.w3schools.com/php/php_forms.asp
    Thanks, I thought this would be the best place to start but no matter what I try I can't even get their basic example to work!

The HTML page displays the form correctly, but when I then click on 'Submit Query' the welcome.php file opens with the far from encouraging message: "The server encountered an unexpected condition which prevented it from fulfilling the request.
    The script had an error or it did not produce any output. If there was an error, you should be able to see it in the error log."

Before anyone asks, yes my server does support PHP4 and PHP5.

Quote Originally Posted by trenoweth View Post
    Thanks, I thought this would be the best place to start but no matter what I try I can't even get their basic example to work!

The HTML page displays the form correctly, but when I then click on 'Submit Query' the welcome.php file opens with the far from encouraging message: "The server encountered an unexpected condition which prevented it from fulfilling the request.
    The script had an error or it did not produce any output. If there was an error, you should be able to see it in the error log."

Before anyone asks, yes my server does support PHP4 and PHP5.
    That is a generic type of error. Could be almost anything related with the access to/within the server-side issues. Check first if you have permissions to send queries on that site / directory / folder / file. If you can access the errors.log file on the server, do it. You will find there details about the error.

Thread Information