www.webdeveloper.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: adding a tooltip for each option item in drop down menu

Were we talking for nothing so far? WolfShade has already found a solution for you:
    http://dossett.org/11/No_onmouseover_for_options_in_IE/

Does it bother you that the select is multiple?

yes.I solved by removing the multiple attribute of select element..bu the next problem with that code is it shows select size=5..so as a result it displays each option items..i got atleast 20-30 option items.So i want a select of size=1..When i make that change tooltips dont appear...

Wait a minute. Do you use IE6? Because title attribute works OK since IE7... If so, forget about that. IE6 is the worst browser ever. And its share market drops every day. Even Microsoft makes huge efforts to get IE6 out of this world. You should not code for IE6 anymore.

yes I use IE6..i mean to say in my company they use IE6..SO cant help it..can u suggest what need to be done to implement tooltips for option items?

Convince the company to upgrade to at LEAST Internet Explorer 7. To stay with IE6 is counter-productive.

^_^

yes that also i shall do but in between isnt there any other solution to this?

Not for IE6. Use the solution, find a computer with IE7 or greater, test it; tweak it if necessary, but test on IE7+ until it works as desired, and don't even give IE6 or earlier a second thought. Consider them non-existant.

^_^

Quote Originally Posted by maria_megha View Post
    yes that also i shall do but in between isnt there any other solution to this?
    No, as far as I know.

Wink

okies so onmouseover event doesnt work for option elements in IE..i want to display tooltips for each option element..I googled and found that using title attribute is the solution for firefox but not for IE..SO now what do you suggest to make possible for a tooltip to appear on each option element?
    So what were you thoughts on post #7? It creates a fake dropdown that does allow the use of title tooltips without using the <option> tags. You could remove the title settings altogether to use a hover technique to display a more lengthly pop-up description (tooltip). You can decide how many choices to initially display with the CSS setting of the <div> tag. Also allows the graphic that you cannot put into the drop down selection options. Might be a work-around until your company arrives in the 21st century.

works in firefox only

I just upgraded my IE TO VERSION 8..and tried the following piece of code in IE 8..it dint work(dint show tooltip)..but it works perfectly fine if i put it in firefox..
    Code:
    <html>
    <body>
    <select name="selectName">
    <option onmouseover="this.parentNode.title=this.value" value="1 Kibology">1 Kibology</option>
    <option onmouseover="this.parentNode.title=this.value" value="2 Kibology">2 Kibology</option>
    <option onmouseover="this.parentNode.title=this.value" value="3 Kibology">3 Kibology</option>
    <option onmouseover="this.parentNode.title=this.value" value="4 Kibology">4 Kibology</option>
    <option onmouseover="this.parentNode.title=this.value" value="5 Kibology">5 Kibology</option>
    <option onmouseover="this.parentNode.title=this.value" value="6 Kibology">6 Kibology</option>
    <option onmouseover="this.parentNode.title=this.value" value="7 Kibology">7 Kibology</option>
    <option onmouseover="this.parentNode.title=this.value" value="8 Kibology">8 Kibology</option>
    <option onmouseover="this.parentNode.title=this.value" value="9 Kibology">9 Kibology</option>
    </select>
    </body>
    </html>
    now whats the remedy for this?

Arrow

I just upgraded my IE TO VERSION 8..and tried the following piece of code in IE 8..it dint work(dint show tooltip)..but it works perfectly fine if i put it in firefox..
    now whats the remedy for this?
    Perhaps when you have a 500 pound gorilla in the room, you do what it wants
    or leave the room.

gr8...dats beter

I just upgraded my IE TO VERSION 8
    OK. Now use this:
    http://dossett.org/11/No_onmouseover_for_options_in_IE/

Thread Information