www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Storing images on remote client

Storing images on remote client

Hi,

I have a dedicated sever which runs a database (MySQL). I have a number of remote clients which conect to the sever over the Internet. The client request a pre definded page which contains a lot of images. After a set time the same page is requested again displaying the same images but different data.

Is there any way of storing the images on the local client and point the script (PHP) to that location to load the images from.

The remote clients are not used for any other purpous and no one has access to them.

Any help would be great.
    Keep safe and well.

Dereck

I have a number of remote clients which conect to the sever over the Internet.
    Can you be more specific? (federated engine, browser, SSH, mysql-proxy)

If you are using PHP you can try sending extra headers. But I have a feeling that any image like this:

example.com/img?id=25228

will not be easily cached by the browser. You may use a session and see when the client's last resource request was and write the headers yourself.

PHP Code:
    //http://ontosys.com/php/cache.html
    //http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.header.php

//something like this 
    header('Content-Type: image/jpeg');
    header('HTTP/1.1 304 Not Modified');
    header('Last-Modified: '.gmdate('D, d M Y H:i:s'$time).' GMT'); 
    You're not the first person to have this problem. If you want to reverse engineer something, try taking a look at those image hosts. I'm fairly positive that they're storing those images in a database and have met and overcome this problem you're having. Maybe look at the headers with wireshark.

Thread Information