www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Javascript submit() won't submit

Javascript submit() won't submit

I have used this same code elsewhere and it worked as expected. I must be overlooking a semicolon or something, any ideas?

Code:
    <html>
    <head>
        <title>FAMembers.Net - TV Spots for Test</title>
        <script type="text/javascript">
            function VideoTrackNLog(videoname, filename){
                frmVideoTrackNLog.videoname.value = videoname;
                frmVideoTrackNLog.nextpagename.value = filename;
                frmVideoTrackNLog.submit();
            }    
        </script>
    </head>
    <body>
        <p><b>View New TV Spots for Testing</b></p> 
        <p>
        <a href="mms://streaming.ccaglobal.com/flooringamerica/January_Free_TV_Promotion.wmv" onclick="VideoTrackNLog('Best Practices 5','streaming.ccaglobal.com/flooringamerica/January_Free_TV_Promotion.wmv');">January Free TV Promotion</a><br/>
        </p>
        <form id="frmVideoTrackNLog" name="frmVideoTrackNLog" action="/FAMediaTracker.asp" method="post">
            <input type="hidden" name="videoname" value="default" />
            <input type="hidden" name="nextpagename" value="default" />
        </form>
    </body>
    </html>

try document.frmVideoTrackNLog.submit();

Thanks Yamaharuss! But still a no go. Still goes to the anchor tag and fires the javascript but does not submit to next page.

Thought I had something. I don't.

^_^

Thanks for the thought!

<a href="mms://streaming.ccaglobal.com/flooringamerica/January_Free_TV_Promotion.wmv" onclick="VideoTrackNLog('Best Practices 5',this.href);">January Free TV Promotion</a><br/>

Hey WolfShade. Not sure that helps. If it does help I'm not sure why it would help as the second parameter could be any value. The submit is supposed to submit to /FAMediaTracker.asp. the value in the second parameter is a filename that will be stored in a tracking database and should be inserted into the form frmVideoTrackNLog and submited to the next page where it should update the databse and then return.

I'm not even sure why the rest of the code works, but it does so whatever I guess. You need to submit the actual form element.

Code:
    document.getElementById('frmVideoTrackNLog').submit();
    I've switched careers...
    I'm NO LONGER a scientist,
    but now a web developer...
    awesome.

aj_nsc thanks for the idea. That doesn't submit the form either. I have tried many different ways to address the form, like document.forms[0].submit() and document.forms['frmVideoTrackNLog'].submit() and the like. It seem that there is something wrong with the form. Where I use this code elsewhere it works fine. If I code onclick="frmVideoTrackNLog.submit();alert();" the submit doesn't happen but the alert does.

BTW a button with onclick="frmVideoTrackNLog.submit();" within the form will submit it

When it's not working, it _should_ give you a JavaScript error. Did you look to see what the error is/was?

^_^

No error, the submit just doesn't happen

In which browser are you testing? IE should give you a yellow triangle with a black exclamation mark, down lower left corner of browser; double click it to see the error message. FF doesn't do much unless either A) FireBug is installed and active, or 2) you open the Error Console window. If it's not submitting AND not giving an error message, then the submit isn't even being called; the event is not triggering.

^_^

I am testing ith IE 8 and the developer tools, FireFox 3.6 and Firebug, Google Chrome 9, Opera 11 and Safari 4 which BTW it works in Safari. Go figure.

If neither IE or FF are giving an error message, then either the function works and does absolutely nothing (unlikely), or the page is being reset before the error message can be displayed. Still, even in that situation FF's Error Console will keep a record of it, and FireBug will notice it, too.

IDK.

^_^

Thread Information