www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Illustrator change from CS4 to CS5

Illustrator change from CS4 to CS5

I bought a new computer that runs Windows 7 and this forced me to purchase a new version of Illustrator. I used to use CS4 and now I'm using CS5.

In the old version I would do the following.

1. Open a new Illustrator document with the artboard 8.5x11.

2. Create a graphic that is much smaller than the artboard.

3. Click on Save For Web and a gif would be created for the graphic space, not the artboard space.

With the new version of Illustrator, when I create the gif it creates it for the entire artboard. I can't figure out how to force it to create the gif only for the graphic space.

Do you have a solution for this problem?

Thank you for your help.

Marcus

CS5 Illustrator is able to create/work with multiple artboards, even one inside another. So

- go to the Artboard Tool (or use the shortcut Shift+O)
    - click you your "graphic space" - a new Artboard is now created, which contains exactly your object.
    - Save For Web, etc

Note If you double click on the "graphic space" not only that the "graphic space" becomes a new artboard, but the rest of the necessary space (the old artboard 8.5x11) disappears - if you need that.

See also:
    http://help.adobe.com/en_US/illustra...c5f-6328a.html

Thank you

Thank you for insight on how to do this. I also found another way to do it. After clicking on Save for Web, all one needs to do is deselect "clip to artboard" under the "image size" tab at the right.

Quote Originally Posted by mlibkind View Post
    Thank you for insight on how to do this. I also found another way to do it. After clicking on Save for Web, all one needs to do is deselect "clip to artboard" under the "image size" tab at the right.
    Yes. But this possibility to work with many artboards on the same windows view, on the same document, is really helpful. Especially for web design. You can even prepare a presentation slide for the client, if needed.
    Last edited by Kor; 02-22-2011 at 04:11 AM.

I didn't think about that

Thanks for the additional information. I did not think of that advantage. Cheers.

Thread Information