alert("Invalid date format: " + form.txtExpire.value);
      form.txtExpire.focus();
      return false;
    } 

return true;
  }
The above code works fine for the following situations:

The default value of the field is: __/__/____

The JavaScript code above will not accept that for a field value.

If a user inputs the following for a date 5_/7_/11__
for May 7th, 2011 the JavaScript will not accept the format it must be entered as:

05/07/2011 (in order to clear the validation)...

NOW HERE IS WHAT I NEED THE JAVASCRIPT TO DO:

1) It needs to accept __/__/____ as a value that can be inserted into the database

2) still retains the code above so 5_/7_/11__ is not an acceptable date but 05/07/2011 will work just fine

3) Now... the default value of the text field in Internet Explorer is __/__/____ but the value is blank in Mozilla Firefox so in an instance where the text field is completely blank I need the JavaScript to assign the value '__/__/____' ...

SO FAR:
I did at one point get both the validation working so it worked for rules 1 and 2 mentioned above but I completely destroyed it while trying to integrate rule 3 into the functionality.

So I know this can be accomplished with a series of if / else statements as well as assigning a value to a form object to handle rule# 3 ... I am just a novice getting ready to turn intermediate in JavaScript so any help, guidance, reference or example / sample code you could give me would be much appreciated.

Thank your for your assitance and I hope you are all doing well.

Cordially,
aRK