dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Getting an upload stream and manipulate it

Getting an upload stream and manipulate it

Dear Web Developers

I am facing a rather interesting problem. I have a form with a file upload field. When you hit submit the file should be manipulated by the client browser and not sent to the server (!). This is important. No file transfer to the Server. After the manipulation the file should be presented as download-able to the client. Which means it is stored from the browser to the client filesystem.

I do not know if any JavaScript Framework is capable of doing this.? Any ideas or solution hints?
    Thank you in advance.

Kind regards

You've got to be able to read the file content somehow in order to manipulate it - i.e. the server needs to have access to it. There is probably some proprietary Active X control somewhere that allows some sort of access to the client's filesystem through Javascript somewhere....but this solution (if it exists) will A) only work in IE and B) will virtually always present your visitors with some annoying security warning issued by the browser that they have to click and accept before they can proceed.

EDIT: Quick google gave me this - http://www.c-point.com/JavaScript/ar...JavaScript.htm

Thread says the same thing, absolutely no cross browser method available - IE only (and poorly at that with the security warnings).

hey guys. looks promising. thank you for the fast replies. I'll check out the urls. thank you

I took a look at a few of the URL's Kor, and I couldn't find (but I may have easily missed) how to manipulate the contents of a file on the client's computer without uploading the file.

I know an alternative solution would be to request the client to copy and paste the contents of a file (if it's ascii) and manipulate it like that, but how can you access the clients filesystem, even with HTML5?

Just saw this link, which may be useful to the OP as well:

http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/FileAPI/

Keep in mind this is not nearly a cross browser solution either as this makes use of cutting-edge web technology which is still early in implementation.
    Last edited by aj_nsc; 03-08-2011 at 10:56 AM.

Thread Information