www.webdeveloper.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: webdeveloper.com - once a day, and it's annoying

The ad goes away by itself in about 15 seconds... Maybe when you see it you could go get something to drink and it'll be gone when you get there

Not very supportive. Anyone else know how to get this to stop? It had stopped for a long time, and suddenly it starts, again.
    |||||
    o . Q
    ___ "You live and you learn; or you don't live long." - Lazarus Long

^_^

Technically, it solves your problem 100% on not having to make that ONE Click... Personally I think the ONE Click would be easier...

The really good news is that "technically," discussions regarding "bypass or modify the features of the forum software" are against the rules here....and I haven't brought that up yet.

Did you by any Mega Million Dollar lottery tickets.. A small part of that could be used to make the ads go away

Thanks for nothing.
    |||||
    o . Q

^_^

For whatever reason, it has stopped doing this, again. Whomever fixed it, thank you.
    |||||
    o . Q

^_^

It does it, it doesn't do it, it keeps going back and forth, now.
    |||||
    o . Q

^_^

It's an AD that helps support the site...which beats the heck out asking Members for money

ADS here are just like anywhere else - the company pays by the hour/day/week etc...

As stated earlier in this thread, I don't just GET advice, here, I also offer advice. That's the price I don't mind paying.

The site also has all kinds of banner ads. Those I don't mind in the least. But when I click on the link to go into the JavaScript forum, and I'm instead redirected to a full page ad that I cannot see, anyway, it's extremely annoying.
    |||||
    o . Q

^_^

Quote Originally Posted by WolfShade View Post
    Seriously?? I had no idea this was run by a company.
    Quite a big one in fact, you would be surprised how many sister sites there are.

They pull this re-direction garbage because most people block other ads like banners.

Quote Originally Posted by brad jones View Post
    Going through one ad a day is a small price to pay to use a forum in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    It's an AD that helps support the site...which beats the heck out asking Members for money

ADS here are just like anywhere else - the company pays by the hour/day/week etc...
    In my opinion and others it would seem, you are both completely wrong.

Banner ads are one thing, textual link ads turn people off and redirection ads just annoy everyone to the point they stop frequenting your site. Riddle me this, if you annoy your members enough to the point that they stop posting answers to peoples questions, that means you get less expected and unique hits per day, thus you earn less.

So the best method here is to aim to earn less, to have a better hit rate and actually earn more.

I run several sites myself (I dont just spend all my time frequenting others) and I am fully aware of the costs. However I am fully aware of the revenue that can be obtained off just one banner on a site that has a high hit rate and good SEO. Especially one linked in with other sites.

Oh hi steve! Also I would like to add, that to charge on sites nowadays, you have to offer A LOT more than just a forum. If you want to charge for access to sites like this, you're daydreaming.
    Last edited by wh666-666; 04-25-2012 at 08:02 PM.
    99 little bugs in the code, 99 bugs in the code, fix one bug, compile it again ... 101 little bugs in the code

An important petition, regarding your human rights:
    https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitio...r-both-genders

Hey wh666-666 - long time no see

If it'll make you guys feel any better... I get the ads once on my home computer and again when I get to the office...and the same thing happens on a couple of sister sites ..The ONE CLICK it takes to skip the ads doesn't bother me one little bit.

Only the high volume sites get the wonderful ad... And WebDev is one of those sites.

Bottom line - the ads are here to stay

Okay. If I see it one more time, I'll be messaging you to cancel my account.
    |||||
    o . Q

^_^

No need to send anyone a message. Just delete your bookmark.

Good luck finding another site where you know and trust some of the guys for ten years... I noticed that you Started 165 threads asking for help... And odds are you picked up tid bits of info while you're helping others... Maybe you're getting more from this site than you realize.

One last question - why do you have sooooo muchhhhhh time to post in this thread over the past 13 months - but that one little click kills you when you click on it?

It's annoying. If you don't mind it, you don't mind it. I do. It's a lie. I click on a link to go into a forum, and I get a blank page with a "SKIP THIS AD" link. I'm not taken to the link I clicked on. It is dishonest, bait-and-switch, and I'm tired of it.

UPDATE:

And now it has successfully interfered with my ability to post an answer to someone's question in the JavaScript forum. I had a nice solution all typed out, and when I clicked the POST button, I get that ****ing ad, again, and when I click the link to skip the ad, I get a blank page. Refreshing does nothing, it's still a blank page.

When I go through and find the post again, my solution has not been entered. Gone. Lost.

I HATE THE AD REDIRECT!
    Last edited by WolfShade; 04-26-2012 at 10:15 PM.
    |||||
    o . Q

^_^

But since you know the ads aren't going away - you're learning to live with it. Right

About the Update... Posting....

After you clicked the "Reply to Thread" button - approx how much time went by before you clicked the "Submit Reply" button? Did it take maybe five minutes or was it possibly longer then 30 minutes?

How it should be working is that the 'welcome ad' should be shown, you should be able click 'skip' or wait 15 seconds and then be sent on your way to where you were headed. If something else is happening different than this, then something isn't working correctly. If you are getting sent to a different (blank) page, then something is not working correctly.

If something isn't working correctly, then the first question is, what browser are you using and what add-ins are you running? If there are any ad blockers, then those can cause issues. If not, then we'd have to look a little deeper.

Is anyone else getting redirected to a blank page? Is anyone not getting forwarded to the page they were headed to? Is this a one-off issue, or are others running into an issue too?

As a side note:
    The best way to get rid of an ad is to not click on it (other than the skip link). The bottom line is - if an ad doesn't get clicked, it will go away because it won't justify itself. If people click on an ad, then it is likely to stick around.

Thread Information