www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: is it possible to make a javascript exe file

is it possible to make a javascript exe file

I'd like to compile my Javascript program into an executable file, and offer it to other users as a "stand alone" program.

hmmm... don't think that's possible. What would happen when they run this exe? Wouldn't it just open a browser?

Why don't you just embed it into the <head> of an HTML document and send them just the HTML file? It's essentially the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by steelcat View Post
    I'd like to compile my Javascript program into an executable file, and offer it to other users as a "stand alone" program.

sure, windows' .NET package comes with a command line tool called jsc.exe.
    you pass it your .js file path and desired exe path, along with a few options (not needed).

the result is an exe that will run on any pc with the .net framework installed (vast majority of windows boxes).

@rnd me: Sort of like a .NET/JS version of Adobe AIR?

Quote Originally Posted by WolfShade View Post
    @rnd me: Sort of like a .NET/JS version of Adobe AIR?
    somewhat. there's no IDE, and to be fair, jScript.net is not 100&#37; ecmaScript compatible. But, it's close enough that a lot of scripts work outright.
    the big problem is that there is no window or document: i think AIR has a normal, yet embedded, browser environment.

however, you can use the whole rich array of .NET's class libraries, including windows forms, IO functions, advanced input capabilities, sound generation, etc.

I've only use it for command-line apps and utilities like file renamers, script packagers, and remote content updaterers. Using .NET forms, you can create a GUI application, it's something i've never had the need to do though, so i can't comment on how easy that is. I think there is an embeddable browser control, so it might be possible to wrap that around your browser-targeted program, and at least use IE7 for an interface. Again, never tried...
    Last edited by rnd me; 03-18-2011 at 04:57 PM.

Thread Information