www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Help Wanted, my site needs more than a little something extra!

Question Help Wanted, my site needs more than a little something extra!

I am a novice I don't have any training in web design or authoring, I kill weeds for a living. I have turned to the web to try and generate new customers to replace my government and local authority contracts lost through cut backs.
    Having no budget at all for this I resorted to downloading Serif's WebPlus X3 Starter Edition which is free and does most things I am capable off. I used it to creat my first attempt at a web presents from scratch for my trading name 'WeedController'.
    http://weedcontrolleruk.comoj.com/index.html
    This is the tempory URL I am using while working on my site, if you could possibly point me in the right direction I would appreciate the help.

Hi

I'm sorry but a tool like that isn't going to allow you to build a website that is going to represent your business well.

Some advice to you.

Find a webhost that will install wordpress for you
    Find a theme and wordpress will autoinstall for you
    Insert your website text and uplod your logo

This will give you much better results and you can then explore using some of the 1000's of wordpress plugins to make your site more individual and even better

Anyway hope this helps, this method can mean no coding required

Jonathan

Thumbs up Thanks for the advice.

Since making my first posting on the subject of my site I am trying to develope I have discovered Joomla 1.6.1 and started experimeting with it on my laptop. I like the way it works and after just a few day's am starting to play with the html and php code in both the templates and ccs files. It will take a long to learn it properly, but I always did enjoy studying

In the mean time I will look out for a copy of wordpress as you suggested and experiment with it. Do you have any comments on the actual content of my tempory site at http://weedcontroller.comoj.com to give me pointers for the process of rewriting?

Weedy

I think this is the first post ive read, anyway first of all well done for giving web design a crack, but my advice would first of all be to find a webdesigner. If u need a bit of help ive found a forum which gives a few tricks of the trade for finding a good web designer
    http://www.squidoo.com/how-to-find-t...t-web-designer hope it helps

Hi

In relation to joomla, if you like it, great but I am not really a fan, wordpress is the ideal solution for you and is alot more user friendly.

Im not a copywriter but I think its pretty much does the job. Its worth using wordpress and then once your happy with how your site looks you can then spend some time in wordpress experimenting with different copy. One way to do this is to use A/B testing so you have 2 or more versions of the same page and the users get split evenly between which one they see. This way means you can see what sort of results you get from different copy and can help you make appropriate changes.

I googled doing this in wordpress to try and find an article that would help you with A/B testing.
    http://visualwebsiteoptimizer.com/sp...-line-of-code/

Hope this helps

Agree with JonathanF. You're going to get a site up much faster with Wordpress and it's probably going to look and function way better.

It's far more worth your time to spend time studying how people read online, how to rank higher, how to create good content, how to promote your business online, etc., than it is to try and learn web design from scratch to make one site.

I do wish you the best of luck Just look at it this way... wouldn't you think I was kinda silly, standing in my heels in the yard shooting dandelions with a water cannon? I couldn't afford to hire an expert, but... maybe my yard would have looked a lot nicer, had I hired the Weed Killer guy.

Thread Information