dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: really bizarre bug in my html - not focusing on nav links with tab key press / duplic

really bizarre bug in my html - not focusing on nav links with tab key press / duplic

hi, for reasons unknown my html is causing all browsers, except firefox and ie, to skip over the links in the nav element when using the tab key, doesn't focus on them at all. firefox does something equally bizarre but different, it doesn't skip the links, instead it duplicates the header link and places the h1 element out of the link within the header. and with ie it works spot on perfect... yeah i know... (woah!)

i've narrowed it down to being a problem within my html because it still happens with both javascript and css disabled. i haven't yet included a skip to main content link so it can't be that, i haven't used the tabindex attribute anywhere and it all validates perfectly fine.

here's the problem to see for yourselves - www.thisbengreenguy.com/creative.php

thanks for all your help in advance.

Well, unfortunately each browser has his own list of focusable elements, and HTML5 draft recognize that:
    http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps...cus-management

Don't mention that:
    1. HTML5 is still in the stage of working draft
    2. HTML5 is implemented incompletely in the present browsers.

they used to work in my page and now suddenly they don't, which could mean
    that w3c are making amendments to the html 5 draft. i was worried it might be something like that.

i would've thought the w3c would've worked with the browser vendors to make sure the basics like this were sorted first. until they do, if that is what's really going on, it may be a good idea that nobody use html 5, or at least not use the header and nav elements, possibly use div elements with #header and #nav id's.

i followed my own suggestion and converted the document back to xhtml strict, it hasn't completely solved the problem, the links still don't focus with tab key press in safari, chrome and opera but at least firefox is liking it now

Why haven't you used the tabindex attribute?

because i didn't see any reason to upset the natural tabbing order of the dom. i did however, just try using it and it hasn't made any difference. i'm starting to think there's something other than an issue with the doctype going on or maybe even as well as.

ok, it now works fine in opera as well and if you use opt/alt + tab in safari and chrome it works as well. which will have to do. at least it looks right and is as near to completely accessible as can be again.

Thread Information