www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: General Advise

General Advise

it seems whenever someone says, "ima newb.. do you guys have any tips for webdevelopment for me?" we also scream. "don't use tables for layout"..

I think it's ironic that on these forums we tell people this constantly, where the forums themselves use tables for layout.

do you guys know why these forums use tables instead of divs?? i mean.. they use css, they just dont bother using divs... makes no sense to me.
    Theres this thing called imperfection. Its the one thing everyones got but nobody wants.

I.. HATE.. EVERYTHING ABOUT YOU! Why do.. I Love you? I HATE Everything about you! Why do I.. love you??? Everytime we lie awake... after every hit we take.. every feeling that i get.. but i haven't missed you yet. only when I stop to think about it... I.. HATE.. EVERYTHING ABOUT YOU! Why do.. I Love you? I HATE Everything about you! Why do I.. love you?

You need to realize a few things here:
    • The people that are telling members here to avoid using tables for layout aren't necessarily staff here and even if they are may not have had control over the code of this site.
    • If you're referring to tables being used on this site for the thread/post display, that's perfectly fine since it's being used to display tabular data. That is considered semantically correct and is perfectly fine to use.
    • If you weren't referring to this particular forum, but maybe the network of JupiterMedia sites, maybe they're using tables for layout because when they were first created CSS wasn't as popular as it is now.

Originally posted by fredmv
    If you weren't referring to this particular forum, but maybe the network of JupiterMedia sites, maybe they're using tables for layout because when they were first created CSS wasn't as popular as it is now.
    ok, i was indeed referring to the whole site. not just the forums. didnt realize it was so old, but still they could have done a revamp..
    Theres this thing called imperfection. Its the one thing everyones got but nobody wants.

I.. HATE.. EVERYTHING ABOUT YOU! Why do.. I Love you? I HATE Everything about you! Why do I.. love you??? Everytime we lie awake... after every hit we take.. every feeling that i get.. but i haven't missed you yet. only when I stop to think about it... I.. HATE.. EVERYTHING ABOUT YOU! Why do.. I Love you? I HATE Everything about you! Why do I.. love you?

Thread Information