www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: My webdesigns don't look professional; what am I missing?

My webdesigns don't look professional; what am I missing?

Hi,

Now for 2 yrs I am working as web designer and have mastered photoshop elements but still my designs don't look very professional. Please take a look at few websites I have designed and tell me what am I missing.

http://www.infoAtlantic.com
    http://www.smartphoneprogramming.com
    http://infoatlantic.com/wordpress/?attachment_id=154 / attractionHome.com

Thank you very much for your advice.

Design

I think you have to improve your graphics skills a lot!!

Besides, it's not sufficient to be able to create cool backgrounds or buttons, you'll have to learn how those images can be managed and positioned through the site structure too (for example, how to manage pictures inside absolute-positioned DIVs).

If you don't have time to learn/use advanced graphic suites (like CorelDRAW Suite or Photoshop), maybe you'll find useful to get some ready cool template, to customize as you like afterwards.

There are many commercial and/or free solutions... for example, take a look here:

http://www.freelayouts.com/websites

Good luck

You must think the whole document as a whole. There are some general principles, which in fact are common sense principles:

Graphical balance
    Don't crowd the graphical elements in a zone. Try to spread them all over the document. But don't spread them too much. Try to keep a balance between elements and the spaces between them. Not too crowdy, yet not too diluted. Symmetry is an important concept. As a general rule: use symmetry between the big zones and asymmetry for the details.

Colors management
    Don't be afraid to use colors. When there is not much content to fill the document, colors might cover the deficit. But don't use all the colors Use the colors grouped in "pallets" starting from a dominant (first) color. That means you must use related color in combinations which are pleasant to the human eye. There are many pallets, all of them created by using math relationship between colors. Here's an example:
    http://colorschemedesigner.com/
    Usually 3 colors/nuances are enough. Try to keep a good contrast balance. Unless you are making the site of a Circus, don't use altogether strong and complementary colors. Straight Red (ff0000) + Straight Green (00ff00) is a classical example of contrast which must be avoided.

Fonts management
    Don't use too many font types. 3 types is usually too much. Use sans-serifed fonts for web. Give your fonts a certain size. Try to balance the size of the fonts: not too small, not too big.

Navigation elements
    The menu is very important. It must make a firm contrast with the other zones on the document. The menu should be the first thing the user must see at a first glance

Zones management, importance order
    People which use left-to-right writing/reading cross the document with their eyes from top-left to bottom-right, and that the descending order of the importance: The most important things must be placed top and left, the less must be placed bottom and right.

So: SH100, your design is far from being professional, to say the least. Try to see on the web how did the others, as MrSnowDrop advised you
    Last edited by Kor; 03-28-2011 at 05:04 AM.

Well, your designs are not bad. There is a very thin line between your designs and a best website design and that is the structure which needs to be excellent in all means. Either if its about navigation, consistency, usability and last but not the least, the theme. You need to just workout over website themes and bring the whole content in line with themes.

I'm gonna try not to repeat what others have already said.

Tables are no longer used for layouts, its old school now along with frames. Divs are the new layout tool.

I notice a lot of sites now are concentrated in the middle of the page, I try to follow that format. This is pretty standard: logo and graphics bar on top, to the left vertical spry (they look good on the right too) content middle, sometimes another area to the right with things like relevant ads, images, social networking links etc.

Its always a good practice to keep current on sites you "idolize" and get ideas from that. Graphics are expensive but there are a ton of free ones out there.

When in doubt Dreamweaver has pre-designed templates.

Yeah i dont like your sites at all.
    Very basic.

May i suggest hiring a graphic artist to do your graphics. In NZ i pay $350 for the privilage and well worth it IMHO.

Thread Information