www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: UNZIP uploaded files in FTP - is it possibile?

UNZIP uploaded files in FTP - is it possibile?

Hi,
    i'd like to know if is it possible to manage zipped files and expand them inside the site through some FTP service.
    I use SmartFTP client, but it seems to be unable to unzip uploaded files.
    Last edited by MrSnowDrop; 03-28-2011 at 05:48 AM.

Using a pure ftp client I'm not sure whether it will be possible to unzip files.
    Chris, Senior Developer,
    Php laravel developers,
    www.chrisranjana.com

unzip uploaded files

The need is to avoid that kind of work: download from ftp the previuously uploaded zipped files, unzip in local and then re-upload the expanded files.
    If FTP clients cannot help is there any another way to unzip remote files?

Possible soultion without success...

I've found an interesting FTP Client which seems to be able to zip and unzip files (that means not a whole site backup but a single zipped file management) through RAW commands...
    So i've installed Wing FTP Rush (freeware) from here:

http://www.wftpserver.com/

First i've read the manual, then i've tried to give the appropriate command "SITE UZIP filename.zip" inside the folder where the zip file is located... but the response is always an error message "Error 500 Command Unknown".
    I don't know if that depends by some kind of missing provider permission or something else... so it seems it's possibile to do something but i've still never found a solution
    Last edited by MrSnowDrop; 04-05-2011 at 07:09 AM.

Check StormFTP
    http://www.flexybee.com/

I realize this thread is old and the original poster is probably not looking for an answer any more, but I thought other people stumbling upon this thread might still be interested.

tl;dr: ZIP-navigation - CDing into ZIP files via FTP/SFTP

I'm a developer working on EnterpriseDT's CompleteFTP server and I've just finished implementing a really neat feature that is related to this thread and about which I'm really excited. From version 7.1, CompleteFTP will support what we're calling 'ZIP Navigation'. When enabled clients will be able to change directory into a ZIP-file just like a regular directory. The exact way this works depends on how it's configured, but by default, for every ZIP file, say myfile.zip, in a directory a subdirectory will be presented called 'myfile.zip.folder'. Users can download myfile.zip as normal, but also have the option of changing into myfile.zip.folder and downloading individual files.

Thread Information